Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value of a doctorate in SAP consulting/development

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am 39 years old and I am SAP consultant/developer since I am 24. I have studied business administration with focus on computer science at university. All the time since then I wondered if I should try to do a doctorate in business administration/computer science on SAP like e.g. SAP CRM or something like that and continue my career in SAP consulting and development afterwards. I have to add that I work and life mostly in Germany where we love academic titles like university degrees and doctorates but I also know that with the age of 39 I might already be too old to begin that endeavour. Of course it would have been best to do that directly after university, especially as I have finished it quite early for german conditions or after 2-3 years initial work and project experience.

As pro's for a doctorate I see:

- interesting scientific work on a nice topic.

- maybe benefits in the further career.

- big personal project.

As contra's I see:

- costs of a lot of time and therby income.

- no guarantee that a doctorate would improve the career.

What are your ideas about this topic?

Thomas Wagner

9 REPLIES 9

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas

Part of this may come back to your country and the the value of such a qualification. As you mention Germany it seems quite different to my country: Australia. Of course, a PhD is quite respected but culturally most people don't introduce themselves or use the title of DR unless the are a medical practitioner (which is amusing as they don't actually obtain the academic level of PhD).

For me, going for a PhD would be a personal goal and unlikely to improve my job prospects. In some situations, it might have employers in private sector concerned that I'm too caught up in the theory and academia life as opposed to the real world. I did consider doing a PhD when I was at university but I must also admit, it was so I could call myself Dr Mikki (has such a cool ring to it as an 18 year old).

Where a PhD might come in handy is if you are trying to get into the research arm of SAP. By choosing a developing topic you could become a thought leader in it or network with the people who are creating the new technologies.

The other consideration is if you want to end the world of academia and stay there. Having a PhD would create that career path.

But within the SAP world, I see it as more personal accomplishment. For me, I'm furthering my qualifications through private certifications - SAP and other industry/non-vendor specific. To me, I need the qualifications that are recognised within my industry and amongst my peers who will consider me for my next role.

Regards

Colleen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Colleen,

Over here I already heard, that the anglo-saxon "PhD" is more scientific than the german "Dr.". As I am already 39 I think I wont do it unless I win in a lottery and don't want to work any more but get boired with doing nothing. I think for 24 or 27 year old people the situation might be different.

Best regards,

Thomas

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thomas,

Doctorate is not "directly enhancing" the job/work or the career of a developer (ABAPer)

If you want to stay as a developer, then this education is not needed. The opportunity costs are too high!

TW

0 Kudos

Hello TW,

I am also concerned about the opportunity costs and as I am already 39 years old I think there might not be a positive ROI (return on investment).

Thanks and best regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos

Thomas,

I have studied MBA from one of the most reputed b-schools.

But now i think...are these studies adding much value (equivalent to the time and money invested)...the answer is no!

Ofcourse, I have choosing a "non-managerial" role (more technical role)

TW

0 Kudos

Hello TW,

I already have a business administration degree from a nice german university after 4 years of studying ("Diplom Kaufmann") and was therefore reluctant to pay at a business school for another non-doctor-degree in business administration. I think I am fine the way I am and nowadays german diplomas are called masters and we also have bachelor-titles given away after 3 years of studies or so.

Best regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

The point I wanted to drive was that if one is involved in "technical" work, then MBA will not be a good ROI

Similarly, if you are not doing R&D...academia etc. PhD might not be beneficial

Nothing related to MBA per se

Typewriter

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

if you'd be living and working in Austria the answer would be: definitively try to get the Doctor grade.

In our smaller neighbor country, having a title is literally worth €...

For Germany it is still a factor when it comes to initial job entry grading for fixed employments. The PhD will typically get you more money or at least a better negotiation position.

However, depending on what kind of job you want to do, the actual effort to gain a PhD/Doctor grade might not balance the outcome.

A MBA or some additional project management or IT certification might serve you better in terms of RoI.

As you seem to freelance or at least to work on a project basis I tend to say: the Dr. won't give you any more money. In case you're the absolute guru/super-hero in your field the title likely won't make you more interesting to your market.

However, if you're interested in the research and the scientific work, well then maybe there's more in it to you then just a pay raise.

Having just finished a SAP Press book myself, I might add: that's also a way to fill your time (lots of it) and to "research" and publish. You don't get a title, but a mug shot on the cover if your book gets printed.

- Lars    

0 Kudos

Hello Lars,

I know that our friendly neighbours in Austria really like doctor- and other titles. Unfortunately I never did a project there and even for Austria I might be to old for that. For younger guys the situation might be different.

Of course an MBA would be a interesting alternative.

I will think about writing books but I guess that is a whole lot of work. Even if you get some money for it.

Best regards,

Thomas