cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PB upgrade from v9

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All -

I am in the process of considering an upgrade from v9. I downloaded the trial version of 12.5.2, migrated the application and tested. The application has about 10 PBL(s) with a SQL Anywhere v9.0.2 backend connecting via odbc. The application has been extremely stable for years on version 9. We are in the process of performing some additional development on the app and think this would be a good to time for the upgrade. Anyway our testing of 12.5.2 was great everything checked out so we purchased a 12.6 license. I installed 12.6 on win7 32bit VM and licensed the install. So to continue our testing we migrated the code to 12.6 and installed for testing on the same machine (win 2008 R2 TS machine) we performed the 12.5.2 testing. We cleaned the machine of the 12.5.2 install prior to installing the 12.6 version of the app. Well testing has not went as smoothly as it did with 12.5.2. So far I have two windows where when we click on a datawindow within the windows the application crashes. I have only found two windows so far that exhibit this behavior. All the other windows (that I have tested)work fine. The good news is the problem can be duplicated on the development machine. However, so far I have been unable to locate or trap the error in debug mode.Meaning I have not been able to located the faulting instruction so far. So I have a couple questions.

1.) Can I install 12.5.2 on the same machine as 12.6? Will this be licensed correctly? My reasoning here is if I can get 12.5.2 successfully migrated and tested we may chose to deploy as a 12.5.2 and move to 12.6 at a later date after this round of development is complete.

2.) Assuming question 1 is true - Are all builds of 12.5.2 stable? Any that we should avoid?

3.) Lastly and move obvious - Any insight as to why the datawindow may be causing a 12.6 version of the app to crash where a 12.5.2 version worked fine?

TIA - Jason

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason;

1) No problem to mix both versions on the same PC as 12.5.x and 12.6 are MAJOR releases and thus each have a different DLL name.

2)   FWIW: Most of my government clients are either on 12.5.1 or 12.5.2 who have migrated to PB 12..x in the past year and their applications are running great in production!

3) No idea ... sorry.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the prompt reply guys -

Chris - so you have had no issues with the last build of 12.5.2?

Roland - my hope is that I can run with the same license file. I wonder if anyone else has had experience with running multiple versions with the same license file.

Have a great day -

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason;

Yes, a few of my clients did and for that reason are staying with the PB 12.5.1 MR (build 4015).

The issues were not the same between the clients as it certainly depends on what PB features you have used in your applications. Some clients could not migrate to 12.5.2 yet because of the WebForms feature being deleted. In your case though, your appreciations might do very well on 12.5.2. Either way ... test, test, test, etc to make sure.   🙂

Good luck!

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Chris - that helps I will load the latest build of 12.5.2 and see how it goes.

On another note to all - I do have 12.5.2 loaded on the machine with 12.6, but currently receiving a licensing error when it starts. I have tried to get a new key (as I am guessing that is required) for 12.5.2. I am wading through mud right now trying to get help with support on how I go about doing that. To add a license to an existing system the site says I need to check-in the old license. Well I did that and now it appears I have nothing. Surely folks out there have multiple versions installed and licensed on the same machine. Am I wrong in believing that?

TIA - Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason;

The is no license Check-In as PB 12.6 is a MAJOR release and thus you cannot use your PB 12.5.x license. You would have to request a new PB 12.6 .LIC file altogether.

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Version 12.6 has only been out for a short period so there are likely to be bugs.

I'm not positive but you might be able to run 12.5 with the 12.6 license file. You might be better off migrating to 12.5 and waiting until a maintenance release of 12.6 stabilizes it before migrating to the latest version.

Definitely report your problems through the support area so that they can get fixed. This is only the end user forum.