cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOXI 3.1 SP6 Clustering Problems

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am setting up a clustered BO environment, two servers each running as an app and web server. Platform is Windows 2012 64 bit. Standard install of BOXI 3.1 SP6 with Tomcat 7.

I installed BOXI 3.1 SP6 on my first server, installed all components including the default web tier Tomcat installation. Changed the request ports of all my servers to use static ports. Changed the Input and Output FRS to network share. Changed Tomcat and SIA to run under a local admin account with all the necessary privileges. Everything seemed to be running fine. Logged onto CMC and all servers were up and running.

On Server 2 I did another install using the custom or expand option. Did a full install again including Web tier, pointed the new install to my existing CMS database. Again changed all services to use static port numbers, using same port numbers as on server 1. Tomcat and SIA changed to run under same service account as server1. Changed the Input and Output File Repository Server to use the network share.

The problem I have is that since clustering performance in the Servers area of the CMC is dire. Both SIAS are up and running. In the CMC under settings>cluster I can see both nodes. All server appear to be running but if I click on the properties of a server it takes minutes to appear.

And when I select the properties for any of my servers the following message is present...

The server is not managed by Server Intelligence Agent.
Current command line arguments could not be retrieved. Server restart would be
required if the command line arguments are modified.
Current command line arguments could not be retrieved.
Server restart is required if the command line arguments are modified.

Have I missed something in the clustering setup of my servers?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

onkarvelhals
Contributor
0 Kudos

Check the following: (perform second if first doesn't work)

1. Host file entry on both the servers with FQDN.
  2. Recreate SIA on node 1/ node 2.
  3. If there are multiple NIC cards,  Launch Control Panel -> Network Connections. Go to Advanced tab -> Advanced Settings  Change the network binding order on the servers to use the NIC in top order which is being used by Business Objects.
  4. On SIA properties- > Startup tab -> do you see remote CMS of all nodes?
  5. Do the contains of Clusterinfo1200.properties file match? This file can be found in either of following locations:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\config\systemprofile\.businessobjects\

or

C:\Documents and Settings\XYZ\.businessobjects\

or

C:\Users\XYZ\.businessobjects\

compare the contains of this file from both nodes.

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

without seeing the server names and other configuration options you have set - its impossible to answer your question.

It is slow because you have servers without SIA. So the main question is what happen to that SIA.

If you stop everything on second server - does the original server works fine ?
You can get to server's properties with no errors ?
Did it started after you installed second node or after you changed its servers to use static ports ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Configuration changes were simply to change to use static ports. I have used the same port numbers across both servers which is allowed, as ports only need to be unique to a server.

Stopped everything on second server. Logon to CMC. All servers on node 1 are in a running state.

In  CMC looked at the CMS of node 1 properties - I was still seeing the message ..'The server is not managed by Server Intelligence Agent'....I came out of the properties of that server and checked another servers properties on node1 without any error. Went back to check the CMS properties of node 1 again and the 'Server is not managed' message had gone!

I changed both servers to use static ports straight after installation so am not sure if the problem was present before changing to static ports on server 2.

I noticed that in the CCM, SIA Properties, Startup Tab, the command line was different on server 2 than server 1.

Server 1:  -loggingPath "E:/Program Files/Business Objects/BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0/logging/" -requestport 10002

Server 2: -defaultlocale EN -requestport 10002

I changed this so server 2 matched server 1. Restarted SIA on server 2. Logged onto CMC and all servers on nodes 1 & 2 are running. I still see the message - 'The server is not managed by any SIA..'' when checking some servers properties on node 2 - Adaptive Job Servers, Adaptive Processing Server,... The CMS is the only server for which this message doesn't appear in the properties.

Also noticed that the command line properties for the servers are different between the nodes. For example the APS -

Node 1:

-name BOEPRD01.AdaptiveProcessingServer -ns boeprd01.xx.xx.xx.uk:6400 -pidfile "E:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\serverpids\BOEPRD01_BOEPRD01.AdaptiveProcessingServer.pid

Node 2:

-name BOEPRD02.AdaptiveProcessingServer -ns boeprd01.xx.xx.xx.uk:6400

No pidifle location is specified for servers on node 2. Is it possible to manually configure this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am tempted to just do a clean reinstall on both servers. I would just like to check which is the best method for setting up the cluster. I have two servers each should operate as a web and app tier.

For my current installation I did a complete new install on server 1 and then did custom or expand installation on server 2 selecting all components apart from the MySQL database.

Is this correct or should I have done two complete new installs and then configured them to act as a cluster...i.e point server 2 at the same CMS database as server 1 and change the cluster name?

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

both methods are equal.

there is no functional preference.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is so frustrating...I have just done a complete reinstall on both servers. Both servers are on the same subnet, same acls in place on both.

1.Check pre-requisites - install account has local admin rights, act as part of the operating system, Replace a process level token,

2.Complete new install on server 1.

3.Installation completed succesfully.

4.Stopped Tomcat and SIA and changed to run under service account. Rebooted server.

4. In CMC checked all servers are up running. They are.

5. In CMC changed servers to use static request ports.

6. In CMC repointed Input and Output FRS to share.

7. Restarted SIA and checked all servers started sucessfully. Yes/

8. Changed cluster name and checked access through Infoview and Cmc using the new cluster name.

Server 1 is up and running! Now onto server2..

9. Install on server2. Custom or Expand and entered clustering information (existing cms db). Installed all components including Tomcat. Installation says it completed successfully.

10. Restarted SIA and Tomcat on server 2 using service account logon.

11. Checked CCM on server 2. SIA> Properties>Configuration>CMS belongs to cluster "prd". Remote CMS Servers does show the other server in the cluster.

12. Log onto CMC and in Servers both nodes are viewable but the CMS on node 2 is stopped and all other node 2 servers are stuck in starting mode as the CMS is not running.

Clustering has not worked. Think I am going to try and reinstall server 2 as a new install and then cluster after it is up and running.

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you should open a support Incident with SAP.
It is very hard to determine what is wrong without looking at your environment.

Something is not right either with DB access or networking between those servers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

before I raise an incident I would like to try the second method for clustering - 2 new installs and then cluster.

I did a complete re-install on server 2 so I now have two independent clusters up and running, each with web/app components installed.

I've been looking for detailed steps on making my second server part of cluster 1. Are you aware of any SAP notes on this?

The steps I believe I need to take to point server 2 to my first cluster are:

-Stop SIA on server 2.

-On SIA configuration tab change CMS System Database Configuration to point to CMS database of install 1 and change cluster name to cluster name of install 1.

-On the start up tab, under Remote CMS Servers do I need to add a 'Bind to' entry for my first server?

-Restart SIS

-In CMC on server2 point Input and Output FRS's to same share as server 1..

Have I missed anything?

Thanks

Paul

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please see my comments in line :

-Stop SIA on server 2.
<correct>

-On SIA configuration tab change CMS System Database Configuration to point to CMS database of install 1 and change cluster name to cluster name of install 1.

<incorrect>
-simply create new SIA and point it to the CMS DB of your server 1. Once created, it will already have correct cluster name. No additional steps required.

-On the start up tab, under Remote CMS Servers do I need to add a 'Bind to' entry for my first server?
<not needed>

-In CMC on server2 point Input and Output FRS's to same share as server 1..

<correct>

There are many KBA's on clustering and various scenarios and problems associated with it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Dennis I will give that a go..

This might be a stupid question but I am using a temporary licence key whilst building the environment. I assume that this allows the creation of multiple SIAs and that the problems I am experiencing have nothing to do with the key,