cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal for end users

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I've been asked to look at rolling out Crystal to one of our end users, but as a DBA I'm nervous about allowing an end user to access the SAP Sybase DB through Crystal directly (for performance reasons). We have business objects but not BI or WI at the moment, we are simply writing Crystal Reports and allowing the users to run them.

I have spend the day looking at a variety of options, and I'm still not really any further forward. In essence, I think I need some form of semantic layer to protect the underlying DB. Is this a universe (in effect), and if so, can we do this without much additional cost? Is this a simple question that will cause a significant amount of work?

Any ideas?

Mike

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

You mention that you do have BusinessObjects so you should be able to use a Universe for reporting purposes although, arguably, WebI does a better job at reporting against the Universe than CR.

To keep costs down whilst using some form of a Semantic Layer, you might want to take a look at CR Server instead. The semantic layer for CR comes in form of the Business View Manager and offers great features akin to the Universe Designer.

With none of these in place, your best best would be to use a View/Stored Procedure.

-Abhilash

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The Business View Manager is also available for BusinessObjects, so you don't really need a separate install of  CRS to manage this.

-Dell

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Some very useful pointers, thanks all..

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To add to what Abhilash suggested. Since you have "BusinessObjects" and thus presumably Universe, WEBI, CR, etc., etc. that your org should also have an SAP Account Rep. I'd suggest discussing the questions with him / her. If need be, they can pull in other technical people to help out with the decision.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter