cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to design a Decsion Model with BPMN2?

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

Any how-to related to the above.

Found the Business Rule task in BPMN2 and the decision model tab, but didn't figure out how to work with both.

Thanks
Olli

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

There are a few different approaches to this in PD as far as I can see and it depends a bit on what you want to accomplish. Since PD doesn't have any concept of SBVR or DMN - in order to be textbook-correct extensions would have to be created to define the objects required based on the semantics of the standard. We have done something similar to create a few higher level models that align with TOGAF.

That would be a fairly involved process that would take a while to outline.

That said, if you wanted to get part way there without spending a lot of time thinking about custom PD extensions, here is the way I would go ....

- in he Business Rule Task (BPMN model), use Item-Aware Elements to define a property.

- in this property, add a rule and describe your rule (free-form in the Expression tab) using semantics from your SBVR and use DMN constructs

This will at least get your decision model in descriptive form attached to the Business Rule Task.

If you want to actually diagram your Decision Model, there is no out-of-box DMN model but you could use something like a Free Model to do your diagramming. You could then use the Related Diagrams property of either the Business Rule Task or the property in the Item-Aware Element to relate you DMN diagram to the process model task.

As I said, the textbook-proper approach would take a lot more work and if you want to do that we would have to get into a bit more detail to understand what you want to accomplish and how you want to prtray your models.

Hope that helps

Bruce

Answers (0)