cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCN - User struggles to upload pdf/word doc/XML to comment on a post - any ideas?

0 Kudos

Hej there,  

I was browsing the FAQs w/o success.

I have a commentor who would like to upload a document to explain a specific solution approach.

I know there is the content submission link with template and stuff - but this is only for SAP.

Is there any recommendation how to include this into a comment to a post?

This is the post where the contributor struggles:

Check out the document 'Eliminating Unit of Measure Rounding Issues: A Fresh Look at an Old Problem' in SCN.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-51334#comment-535763

Any smart ideas or suggestions?

Thanks a lot, Stefan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

RamanKorrapati
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

As of now there is no such option to add doc or pdf attachment while commenting at blog/doc/discussion.

If that pdf/document was helpful to scn then ask commenter to create a document or blog at related forum. so that will be more useful others as well.

if that commentator is SAP employee then he/she can attach that pdf directly at SCN forum.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Thank you for the quick and helpful answer.

I will advise accordingly. Is there any solution backlog where I can request this feature?

Thanks, Stefan

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This discussion will work as request to solution.

When SCN team will see this discussion, either they will post reply here or they will consult it with team to do it further.

RamanKorrapati
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

we can request or suggest any idea about it.

we need to  raise at Idea Place: Enterprise Home

Based on voting SCN will implement new ideas.

Before raising at idea forum, please post here and see the replies from scn users.

Based on that +ve replys you can raise idea at idea forum.

Thanks

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Virinchy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

There is a simple work around available to attach files.

By default the comments section with advanced editor allows attaching the files of format " asc, .txt, .text, .xml, .xsl, .gif, .png, .jpeg, .jpg, .jpe, .ics" .

So what we can do here is , change the extension of the files which we would like to attach, to any of the supported formats.

for example : to attach a pdf file, change the extension of the pdf file from .pdf  to .txt and attach it. and , the user can download the .txt file and change the extension again , from .txt to .pdf .

This can be a simple workaround.

sample files are attached here

Note: Once the sample files are downloaded , change the extension from sample word file.txt.zip  to sample word file.docx and sample pdf file.txt.zip to sample word file.pdf

Note : Not sure, how to enable an advanced editor in the comments section of the documents.

Regards

Virinchy

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think it is suggestible to create a document and give a link to this document's comment section.

cc

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you say "create a document" are you talking, for example, out on Google Document Sharing site or something like that?

Unfortunately my company's firewall prevents me from doing that.

I'm going to try compressing my file size and see if that helps.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is not possible to attach anything else than a picture in a comment to a document in SCN.

Creating a document means creating a document in SCN, it is actually the same starting point, at the top right of the forum you click CREATE and in the submenu you choose document instead of discussion. Details can be found in the Getting started section of SCN.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jurgen -- I've tried all of that, my xml file is 1.2 Meg - just a bit too large.

Virinchy - I'm not sure how to change the file extension.  When I rename my .pdf file to .txt, it still has the .pdf extension.

For example, Metrics-upload.pdf
becomes   Metrics-upload.txt.pdf

It's still a .pdf and won't upload.  I'm not sure how you did it with a .zip extension in your examples.

I know you are all trying to help, but this is not very intuitive or user friendly. 

Gina

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can't upload a pdf file in a document because you are no a SAP employee.

I suggest to create a document in that particular space (here is the link http://scn.sap.com/doc-create!input.jspa?container=2205&containerType=14&documentID=&tags=&subject=)

Copy all content from the PDF file and paste into the document's body.

If you have image(s), then upload it from the camera button.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was able to finally get my document posted by splitting it up into 2 XML files instead of 1 large one (thanks to the suggestion of Dave Beldyk).

Gina