Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change length of AFNAM(requisitioner) field from standard table

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Would it be possible to change the length of field AFNAM (requisitioner) from standard table EBAN - Purchase Requisition?

If possible, may i know what's the process? If not, what could be the reason?

Thank you and best regards,

Jesielle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

raymond_giuseppi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Another solution, keep the "internal" length  of field (so database will rewards you) and change data-element/domain to use a conversion-exit (and a search help) especially if you can/will check the values in a table.

Regards,

Raymond

PS: some standard industry solutions already use this solution for MATNR (e.g. DIMP : internal length 18, external length 40) in some versions there is even a BAdI/Customer Exit to change the conversion-exit behavior

9 REPLIES 9

FredericGirod
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

it's standard modification, you will need an object key.

each time you will have an upgrade, you will need to validate it in the SPAD & SPAU trans.

to modify it, you simply have to modify the domain link to the data element link to your field. SAP will works a little bit to change all the corresponding entries in all the tables link to this domain.

Sometimes you will have to check if this field could have other data element / domain ..

I have already do this for MATNR, a very used domain in SAP, and that have been worked. So lets try

regards

Fred

0 Kudos

Hi,

This is a joke right ?

Regards.

0 Kudos

no, it wasn't.

Sometimes you have to do something really bad ...

Fred

0 Kudos

Hi,

This must be a real pain..... and expensive .

Just curious why the increase of matnr size ?

Is it to make the key value more meaningful ?

Regards.

0 Kudos

I thought it's to have a long representative display ..

You know, it's common to see customers modifying one or two standard fields size.

That offends only old developpers

Fred

0 Kudos

Hi,

I agree that I am old (I have 5 grandchildrens as a proof...)

But the issue is cost .

I just spot response and what he say can save in the long run huge sums of money .

Regards.

0 Kudos

Yes, it's a common job to explain that to customers, but, sometimes customers didn't understand the final price and would like to have their wish answered.

All the  day I feel like Alice in Wonderland and keed for my mind "Nonsence"

But maybe a day, Abapor will manage the whole SAP scope and we will have beautiful and powerfull system

Fred

raymond_giuseppi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Another solution, keep the "internal" length  of field (so database will rewards you) and change data-element/domain to use a conversion-exit (and a search help) especially if you can/will check the values in a table.

Regards,

Raymond

PS: some standard industry solutions already use this solution for MATNR (e.g. DIMP : internal length 18, external length 40) in some versions there is even a BAdI/Customer Exit to change the conversion-exit behavior

0 Kudos

yes, there is the field-exit also, it's a good idea !

Fred