cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup value for BOM item

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good morning all,

Does anyone know of a method for automatically applying materials to production orders as setup?

We are spray paint various products and there is always an initial amount of paint that is lost when starting a new colour.  Example:

Item A (finished product) uses 1L of item B (paint) each, and there would be an additional 1L consumed when starting.  Therefore to make 5 of item A, we would require 6L of item B rather than 5L.  Is there a way to have this additional quantity added in terms of setup (once per production order)?

Regards,

Dan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member209265
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

In my knowledge No.

But you can map in the following way.

1. Make an activity like Spray waste..... Assign it in Standard value key. Put the formula exactly as setup (means it will not depend on qty of the order but will depend on individual order. So applicable only once). Maintain the cost for the same for costing purpose.

As your order qty is not fixed, you can not distribute the color or have extra on BOM level.

Or you can scrap the color after confirmation of individual order.

The best way to maintain the color is maintain the B twice in BOM. One exact qty and another 1liter with a fixed indicator in component.

Then one qty will be fixed (for B)  and another will increase with the order qty( for B) of the header material (A)

Hope this is clear.

Regards,

Krishnendu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Krishnendu!  I believe this method could be an option!

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can maintain scrap percentage

in two places

1. Material master

MRP 1 (Assembly Scrap) and MRP 4 views (Component Scrap)

2. Bill of material

BOM Items

Regards,

ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the input guys!

As for multiple orders sharing the same colour; yes this can happen however it would still be much more accurate applying it to every order as apposed to every item.  the margin for error is much greater if the scrap is applied per quantity.

The impact of the costs is less crucial that the quantities to us really.  The issue is that if we apply an average scrap rate per item rather than order, we will be at risk of order too little paint when spraying small quantities and too much paint when spraying large quantities.

It seems this is a scenario that SAP struggles to accommodate.

marianoc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

I don't think you can have dynamic scrap or dynamic component consumption. Maybe you can use a component scrap.. but it will be applied for all the orders.

In your case you will consume more paint only when you start painting with a new color. Now if your second order is sequenced to be executed immediatelly, and the second order is to paint using the same color you would not have the additional scrap.. So the question is: how the MRP will be able to plan this behaviour that at the end depend on the sequence. I mean when the planned order is created, the MRP does not know if you will paint all the order with the same color in sequence or if you will alternate your colors.

More over, even if you try with an enhancement.. it is a complex requirement, because you will need to check what is the order that is being produced before your order and increase the component quantity.. which could be too late if planning has not consider the incremental consumption...

So I would add some scrap for the component and see the variances.

Kind Regards,

Mariano