cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports 2011 and rcapi via inproc ras?

Former Member
0 Kudos

First of all, we are using Crystal Reports 2011 (v14.0.2.364)

I'm working in a small non-profit in healthcare, where there are very limited budgets.

=> This lead to me using VS Express, meaning i can't use the CR for VS stuff (right?)

What i'm trying to do is create ad hoc report definitions (select certain stuff in a small application, and based on that, a very basic report should come out) to facilitate report creation (otherwise i need to define 50+ subreports manually, all on the same DB, with different column definitions, ...)

Now i've read around a lot in the last few days, and while at the moment i've succeeded in opening an existing report, and 'browsing' through its contents using the VS Debugger, it seems i'm missing the ReportDef assemblies,

=> so i can't change the definition of the report. (right?)

I'm confused... i've read that CR XI SP2+ contains the RAS SDK, which should contain the RCAPI, and i should be able to use this in-process.

Since "CR 2011" > "CR XI SP2", i assumed it would work...

Obviously i've read either the wrong documents, or i'm misinterpreting them, or i've overlooked something...

Just to be clear: there is no budget (not money-wise, nor time-wise) to be going after the Crystal Reports Server things, so if that is the only way i can produce the desured outcome, i might as well just ditch the current project and go after something else (like generating myDBR code)

could someone offer some clarifications on this please? (and maybe i'm posting this in the wrong forum, but i'm accessing cr rpt files from VS...

(using C# btw)

thanx in advance

Michael

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

No runtime included also of CR 2011. Runtime is CR for VS.

You can try installing it from this link:

But ALL VS Express version do not support Plug-ins and CR is a plug-in. MS limitation.

You can try using the runtime only and adding the assemblies manually but not sure if it will work. You will not get the Report Designer built into VS IDE.

Only option is to upgrade VS to be supported.

Good luck

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks!

Installing the CR runtime for VS seems to have delivered the right assemblies. I can now create a report from scratch, bind it to the correct database, and put some basic stuff in it, just what i needed.

greets,

Michael

Answers (0)