cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this scenario supported in CM services?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

W'ere in a process of moving from CMS to CM Services.

In CMS we have two tracks configured with the same transport path, so that we can perform both bug fixes and enhancements at the same time without having to apply enhancements onto bug fixes. This allowed creating two different workspaces in DTR and build spaces in CBS.

Given that CM services does not have the track concept anymore I was wondering whether this scenario is still possible under CM services and if yes then what would be the best way to achieve it?

Thanks

Roy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check this one

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jun

i'm familiar with this document but I don't believe it answers my question (unless I am missing something).

It discusses setting up development and production tracks but doesn't answer my question above.

Regards

Roy

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

in one doc it says

Solution for maintenance tracks described on SCN (Best Practices for NWDI: Track design for ongoing development) is not supported for CM Services. You can find the guide Landscape Setup for Ongoing Java Development with CM Services in CTS+ here on SCN which describes how to handle this topic with CM Services.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know tracks are not supported (as per my initial post) however that still doesn't answer my question I'm afraid - Can you have two seperate buildspaces configured with the same CTS system in CM services

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

as long as the scenario can be handled, why you are so concerned with two build space? can't just apply the strategy in the doc? i don't get your point

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a business case that requires it and it is supported with CMS.

Again, the strategy described on this document does not touch this subject, not sure why this isn't clear?

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

what's your point? you want the development and maintenance happen at the same time right?

you want to know if this is supported by cm service?

Former Member
0 Kudos

My point is to be able to run two DISTINCT build spaces against the same CTS systems, similar to having two DISTINCT tracks configured with the same runtime systems in CMS.

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

i am lost, don't know what you are trying to achieve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What I am trying to achieve is to allow two groups of developer to be able to work on the same DC / SC without affecting each other and both to be able to send this to the same CTS system.

Suggest you revisit the concept of tracks in CMS...

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

i don't know who should revisit the nwdi stuff....

if sap doc is not lying, i think that doc already answered your question.

Solution for maintenance tracks described on SCN (Best Practices for NWDI: Track design for ongoing development) is not supported for CM Services. You can find the guide Landscape Setup for Ongoing Java Development with CM Services in CTS+ here on SCN which describes how to handle this topic with CM Services.

do you really know nwdi and cm service? read that doc please.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have already and it doesn't - It discusses how to integrate bug fixes and changes from one CTS system to another not how to setup two buildpaces against one CTS system.

If it does then please enlighten me with few lines

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you have read the document then i'm looking of a way to create two buildspaces for the landscape DM1 - > QM1 -> PP1 descriced there.

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you have some understanding about nwdi,

two track for the same sc are deployed to same system, it is not a good idea.(you may not know the implication)

if two track setting is working now for your scenario,  i think cm can do the same.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know what the implications are just accept it as a fact that we need this in our environment, I don't need to lay the reasons why as they are not relevant for this discussion.

Now, if this is possible in CM seevices then I would appreciate if you can tell me how instead of criticising my NWDI understanding as again this is not mentioned in the document you insist on referring to.

jmoors
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Roy,

Glad to see you're as friendly as ever!

I assume both tracks reference the same software component? If so I'm not sure there is any easy way to implement with CM, as you say there is only a build space per software component.

With CM you can manage the changes at a more granular level, i.e. you can transport activities (SDA) rather than the complete SC (SCA) as you had to previously, so perhaps you need to change the approach to deploying/managing the changes?

Cheers,

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Jason!

thanks, I do my best

The problem is that even with activity based transports the commits are still done to the same build space. The only way at least I see to get around this would be to create a copy of the SC and maintain the changes (defects, enhancements) respectively, which would require dual maintanance on a quarterly basis.

that said it is not much different than what the track concept effectively imposed, I was just wondering if there is more elegant way of doing this using CM services...

Cheers

Roy

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you want to do dev and maintenance at the same time, there is no magic but creating copy...i think you already knew this,

for the dual maintenance, that doc also tells u how to move the change from one source to another, which eliminate the double maintenance,

what else you are looking for?

jmoors
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah, that's the problem, with CM the buildspaces are more aligned to the landscape, so if you had a dual landscape I think it would be possible as per the guide. The issue is you are trying to develop the dev and fix in the same systems, which CM doesn't really cater for.

Cheers,

Jason

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

what is not catered for? what's "develop the dev and fix in one system"? what's the problem of that?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jun

If I haven't been able to make my case clear to you by now then I probably wouldn't be able to.

Jason reconfirmed my assumption that the scenario I'm after is not catered for in CM services unless the SC is copied.

Regards

Roy

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

what's the problem of copying a sc in CM? you were doing the same with NWDI track right?

you want to do dev and fix at same time with one single source in CM?