cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COM Surrogate issues

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm running SAP on windows Server 2003. For some time now I've been getting intermittent login failures on my database server. After some time, I SQL Server Profiler and Process Explorer, I have managed to trace this back to a dllhost.exe Comm Surrogate trying to access the Master Database.

When I looked up the processID to compare against the COM+ applications in Component Services, it identifies OSoftUserManage as the application trying to access the Master database.

Can anyone shed some light on this? How can I stop it accessing the master database, or if it needs to, what permissions should I give the user account?

I'm running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP2, SQL 2008 SP3 and on a separate server Windows server 2003 standard SP2 and SAP BPC v7.5.112.07

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jon,

Which account generates that login failure? BPC uses 3 (unless they all are the same). Generally, 1 is sysadmin, 2nd DBO on BPC databases and 3rd is read/write.  OsoftUserManage (in my case) runs with sysadmin account. Also, what is the failure status (from SQL)?

regards,

Akim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Akim

It's the account that you identified as 1.

The only error on the SQL server is a log in failure.

"Log in failed for user [insert sysadmin ID from 1 above]. Reason:Failed to open explicitly specified database. [CLIENT:IP Address of BPC Server]"

Checking with the profiler, it shows that it's trying to access the Master database.

The "sysadmin" maps to a user with the same name that has RSExecRole, Public and db_owner role membership on the Master database, so there shouldn't be any issues?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jon,

But what is the failure you see from SQL log perspective? There should be Severity and State...

Usually, it has more details for login failure right after.

regards,

Akim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Error: 18456, Severity:14, State: 38

That's it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just out of curiosity, do any of your databases have Auto Close set to True?

Former Member
0 Kudos

No.. It's set to False on the Master Database. I think this is the default.

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jon,

you should see the microsoft site for this kind of issues, e.g. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/a2af6e15-3d3c-4be7-8f4f-1c616bf74d7c/error-1...

this article contains explanation and links to trace and understand what is missing / wrong in the security.

When solved please close the thread marking a "correct answer" and eventually "helpful answers", please note that if needed you can also mark your answer as correct.

Regards

Roberto