cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java SDK Development Environment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all. I am a .NET SDK Developer but planning to change the SDKs to JAVA. I have gone through some documents on how to setup JAVA Environment on development machine and I'm not clear on how to start. These are the few questions I have :

1) I have all jar files in BI installation /JAVA/LIB folder but where should I copy them on my development machine ?

2) once I copy them , how does my java application (or jsp) use them

3) After I create the script and test, how do I push it onto server ? I mean what folder I should place these on the SERVER so that we can schedule them to run automatically

any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kenny,

You can put the copied jars anywhere on your Development Machine.

- If you are creating a java application, you will have to set the path using the jars before compiling the code. However, it will be better if you create a Web Applcation because Standalone java code(.java) are not Supported as per SAP Support Policy.

- Below are the steps to create a Web Application:

1. Go to Tomcat Installation Directory. (C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Tomcat55)

2. Go to webapps folder in tomcat directory (C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Tomcat55\ webapps).

3. Create a new application folder within webapps (ex. Test)

4. Create a new folder named ‘WEB-INF’ within ‘Test’ Folder. (C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Tomcat55\ webapps \Test\WEB-INF)

5. Copy the ‘lib’ folder from the mentioned location: (C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Common\4.0\Java\lib) and paste it to (C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Tomcat55\Webapps\Test\WEB-INF\lib)

6. Copy the crystalReportViewers12 folder from the BusinessObjects Installation directory (C:\Program Files\Business Objects\common\4.0\ crystalReportViewers12) to (C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Tomcat55\Webapps\Test\ crystalReportViewers12).

7. Place your all jsp files at the following location (C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Tomcat55\Webapps\Test\index.jsp)

8. Create a web.xml file at the following location (C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Tomcat55\Webapps\Test\WEB-INF\web.xml).

9. Find attachment file which includes the code to map the crystal report viewer in web.xml file

10.Restart tomcat and run the code in browser (http:\\localhost:8080\Test\index.jsp).

The above workflow is for Tomcat Server, however if you are using some other Application Server(Eg: websphere, weblogic), you will have to create .war file of the above structure.

You can't schedule the script from the Application Server, you will have to create a Program Object and publish the same to the Enterprise to schedule the script automatically.

Please have a look at the below for getting started with Program Objects:

1501932 - How to get started with writing Java Program Objects

You can also have a look at the below notes which will give you a head-start to start your development:

1998317 - How to start a particular BO server using Java Program Object

1998421 - How to stop a particular BO Server using Java Program Objects

Additionally, you can find the samples on the below link:

Java BusinessObjects Enterprise SDK Samples - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN Wiki

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rajarsh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rajarsh, I appreciate your response very much. It's very clear on how to deploy these on server. I guess I'll take a look at docs and work on it. Thank you so much for your help.

So, I'll just copy all jar files on developmnet machine and add the path in my jsp file and test it. if everything works, copy them onto the server as per your steps above.

If there are any steps that I need to follow specifically on development machine(if you have a document that explains it), please let me know.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kenny,

The setting path thing is only for your Standalone code, you can't deploy a .jsp file without a server.

So you will have to create the above structure first with your jsp and then deploy it on the server.

You can download the developer guide from the below link:

BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3.1 – SAP Help Portal Page

and look for BusinessObjects Enterprise Java SDK Developer Guide, download this guide and go to Web Application setup heading. It should answer your questions.

Regards,

Rajarsh

Message was edited by: Rajarsh Chauhan

Answers (0)