cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign multiple Cost Center to one Organizational Unit

Former Member
0 Kudos

In my organization we installed SAP-R3 FI-CO module many years ago. We we using just that module for like 10 years. We created near 50,000 Cost Centers since then.

Recently we actived the HCM module. Organizational Units, Positions, etc were created. Cost centers were assigned to Organizational Units, to control the payroll expenses, and all that has worked fine so far.

All over this years, without having HCM working, an indepedent application (a DWH) has serve the purpose of maintain the relationship between a cost center and an organizational unit, for reporting use, since the Cost Center doesn't have a place to be assigned to an Organizational Unit, in FI-CO.

Now with the HCM module active, we now have the relationship between an Organizational Unit and one Cost Center, but just one, the one that pays the bills. But we have thousands of Cost Centers that are merely projects or serve purpouses different of payroll.

My question is, how or where can I establish a link between a Cost Center and an Organizational Unit? Is it a place in HCM where we can assign all the Cost Centers belonging to certain Organizational Unit, even if that's not for payroll?

Is there a place, anywhere else in SAP to assign this relationship?

The only thing we think of is the Cost Center Standard Hierarchy, but that implicates maintaining a copy of the Organizational Unit tree by manually replicating it.

Is this the correct path?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

kamalkumar_biswas2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So far I understood from your query that you want separate cost centers for Org unit in HR. But you can't have that option in SAP. Cost centers are created at Standard Hierarchy node in controlling area and in turn available at Financial Accounting. However to address your issue you can create a separate Cost center group with required number of cost centers for HR under standard hierarchy and define user authorization/role control to achieve your target.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Kamal:

Thanks for your time.

In my company, a single Org Unit can have 1 default cost centers which absorbs salaries, office suplies, etc, and we have that relation set in H.R.

However, there are more cost centers, which may not have nothing to do with payroll, like special projects. These projects are those which I'm worried about, since I don't see how to set a direct relationship, between the cost center and the org unit to which it belongs, since there are no org units in FI.

If we want to get a simple report to know which cost centers belong to which Org Unit, we can't generate that.

So, according to your answer, we should use the standard hierarchy? But how is that related to Org Units?

kamalkumar_biswas2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are correct...cost center being master data and defined at stand hierarchy in controlling area, directly maintained at client level not at org unit level. Can you tell me what exactly you want and your basic requirement to have a link with HR for a specific cost center.

Then we can work out some alternative way.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Kamal:

My basic requirement is to have a relationship set between Org Unit and Cost Centers, and be maintained in SAP as a master data, so that we can export this information to a datawarehouse.

kamalkumar_biswas2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think you can only achieve this through a Ztable development where you have your Org unit and relevant cost center and by using the Ztable can trigger export info  to data warehouse.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

cost centre are assigned to company code in FI and at the same time they i believe Orgainsation unit of HR are also assign to company code .

When you create Employee record in PA30 you can assign cost centre to respective comapny code .

many Thanks

Regards

PreetI Agarwal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for your explanation.

However, I don't want anything involved with employees, or payroll.

I just want to establish, somewhere, a relationship between a cost center and a org unit.

These are cost center that don't payroll, therefore, can't be used with anything related to an employee.