Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Client BOBJ Client to the Cloud Server

former_member340306
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I installed BOBJ 4.1 Sp4 on amazon cloud,  i opened 8080 and 6400-6410 ports and i can access the CMC and BI launch pad from anywhere. But if i need to use client tools , at this point  i RDP in to the server and they work fine. How can i connect client tools from a different machine to the cloud server?

Sheikh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sheikh,

If your server has been installed in the Amazon cloud, you would be better off installing the client tool on the BOBJ server within the Amazon cloud as well.  You will need to work with Amazon support to expose the ports required through the Firewall / NAT server and still configure the BOBJ servers to use fixed ports.

If you decide to install the clients tools locally you will have problems connecting to the database within the Amazon cloud.  You will need to configure ports for the database client as well.

Regards,

Ajay

0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

Users can install client tools on server in BI 4.x but its not something which SAP considers as a good practice. There is a SAP note explaining that. Dont have it handy now but you can search for it. Besides, unlike 3.x client tools dont come bundled in 4.x for a reason only, which is explained in that note. Most importantly server access is only for administrator and no one else.

Hence a good approach would be to go through the painful way and open ports and configure it for client machine only

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sarvjot,

I would disagree, the custom has VERY unique install and NOT a typical install.  I have several customer running several different versions of BOBJ with full client tools (Crystal, Dashboard, Design Studio, LUMIRA & Client Tools) and full Platform (Platform, Explorer, BIP Add-in, Design Studio Add-in and LUMIRA Add-on) install without any issues for testing / development. 

You connect to the Amazon Cloud server using RCT, you can easily create different level of users who can NOT change server settings and are running in basic mode.  The goal of the Cloud server is to access it from anywhere with the use of a browser only.  Installing the client tools on server would allow them to function that way and users don't need to carry a specially configured notebook.

If this was Production install I can understand NOT installing client tools for performance reasons but from previous posting by Sheikh, this is a DEV install.

Regards,

Ajay

0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

Hope this clarifies why it is not recommended to install on server. This is an official note for all SAP users

2014953 - Installation of server and client components of BI 4.x on the same physical machine

Regards,

Sarvjot Singh

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sarvjot,

The SAP note only recommends not installing mixed versions of client and server product.  If the client tools and Platform products are running at the same patch level, then you have NO ISSUE.

Ajay

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hi,

Nikhil has put it precisely correct for you and just to add few notes here to help you understand which ports for which tools. You may check the below notes:

1832837 -Error: "Unable to find servers in CMS <server_name:port> and cluster @<cluster_name> with kind fileserver and service FileStoreV2" when trying to publish PDF in BI LaunchPad

1745855 -Transport Error Communication Failure (FWM00001)

1819897 -Firewall considerations for Promotion Management

1804028 -Blank page is shown when viewing WebIntelligence reports

1820876 -Saving a Crystal Report 2011 in SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence 4.0 with Firewall gives error.

1984483 -Which ports are using when creating Universe(.unx) in Information Design Tool(IDT)?

1735550 -What are the port requirements for SAP BusinessObjects Dashboard Design Services

1759723 -What are the port requirements for Universe Design Tool in BI 4.0. 1838571 -How to configure Publishing Wizard to work through firewall?

1733391 -What are the port requirements for Business View Manager in BI 4.0.

1733891 -Which ports are required to be opened over firewall for SAP Crystal Reports 2011 designer in BI 4.0?

1734881 -Which ports are required to be opened over firewall for SAP Crystal Reports for Enterprise in BI 4.0?

Regards,

Sarvjot Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

There is a NAT/firewall between your BO server on AWS and the machine outside it.

to get through it, set static request ports on CMS, IFRS for e.g:

cms 6400 name server port

cms 6401 request port
ifrs 6403 req port

Ensure telnet from your machine to the BOE server works on all of these ports and if it does'nt contact AWS support.

Once telnet works fine, add host file entries on your machine regarding the BOE server ip, hostanme, fqdn. it should work after this.

If it still does'nt work, bind your CMS and IFRS using IP address or Hostname in CMC.

This has worked for me before.

-Nikhil Nair