cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which type of view is best...JS view or XML view or HTML view or JSON view?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

For a custom SAPUI5 app development which type of view is best(JS view or XML view or HTML view or JSON view)?

What are pros and cons of different view types and Best Practices?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member189945
Contributor

Hi Sreekanth,

I think that XMLViews are the best practise. New Fiori apps are made with XMLViews. Imo XMLViews are also the best way to go because they provide the cleanest approach for separation of concerns.

JSViews also have their uses because they make it fast to develop small views with their behavior.

I wouldn't develop with HTMLViews because HTML can already be embedded into XMLViews. Neither would I use JSONViews because JSON is really meant for data.

Regards,

Kimmo

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sending view type comparison, by sap SAPX05 2014 page 122

Regards,

Manoj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We’re currently looking for an update of the official SAP statement regarding which view-types are recommended and will be guaranteed supported in the future. We’re thinking of Fiori-like applications development here. Within the scope of the future implementations we’ll use static and dynamic views. It would be great to know which view-technology we should use in upcoming projects.

We’ve already received recent feedback referring the use of the view-technology, but this was more like a personal opinion than an actual official statement.

If possible, could anyone reference us to an official statement of the SAP? If not, could someone tell us if this table is still up to date? http://content.screencast.com/users/jul_win/folders/Jing/media/fc8d6c21-5069-4720-bd52-ac7a50dcb7b6/...

Thanks and kindest regards

Julian

AndreasKunz
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Julian,

my comment above from two weeks ago is still valid. The linked documentation is quite old (I used it because this piece has for some reason dropped from the current docu), but also still valid.

Fiori development is happening mostly (or even exclusively) in XMLViews, but JSViews have an equal state of support and right to exist.

HTMLViews and JSONViews are in my personal opinion not something that deserves too much attention. Especially the former are something I'd prefer to get rid of. Personal opinion left aside, all experience indicate that both are not used a lot. Still they are officially supported.

One newer View type that does not get the attention it might deserve is TemplateViews: they are what HTMLViews should have been: plain HTML enriched with data binding. Useful when not working with standard controls, but rather needing custom HTML. But probably nothing for your Fiori apps.

There will no press release from SAP about it, but for you JSViews or XMLViews should be the ones to choose from.

Regards

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your replies Kimmo and Andreas. Really helped.

AndreasKunz
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Sreekanth,

I agree with Kimmo on XMLViews and JSViews being the most popular ones and the ones to choose from. What you should use depends a lot on skillset and taste.

See Documentation/AdvancedTopics/MVC – SAPUI5 Wiki (TIP CORE User Interface) (third section) for more decision input.

Regards

Andreas