Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOE 4.1 install fail - timeout to contact tmp CMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I'm having a hard time deploying BOE 4.1 SP2 in our environment,

The install completes with errors and when I check the install logs I can see that one of the steps tries to log in to a temporary CMS and eventually timeout.

My issue here is that the CMS seems to start correctly at some other steps during the install and it also runs correctly post-install, so there is no firewall, anti-virus or DLL/system issue with it.

Using TCPviews, I can see that this temporary CMS process is actively talking with our MSSQL DB, although not through the 6400 port which the install process is monitoring to log in.

The host is a windows server 2008 R2 box, patched with 2005/2008 C++ redist.

I disabled IPV6 as mentioned in another thread but it didn't help.

To me it's more like the install process doesn't allow enough time for the tmp CMS to complete some task (never checked but probably time out at 15/20 min).

Anyone experienced something like that? any solution?

Are there any options to speed up a CMS loading? Add Index in DB?

Thanks

X.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI all,

I was finally able to perform a  successful install.

For future reference, the root cause is the temporary CMS taking too long to perform SQL request on our pre-prod SQLSErver database which cause the install process to timeout and skip the "updating servers" step. That leads to an unusable deployment.

I dont have a clear vision of why it is taking so long because that instance of SQLServer is used by multiple applications without any issues, no swapping on the host, no CPU overload; this issue is still beeing investigated.

If anyone has useful tips for that?

X.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Could you share your install and all CMS logs snippets corresponding to the installation timeframe, perhaps that would shed more light.

Also usually, this kind of things happen due to host file entry as well, incase the DNS resolution has some issues. Make sure that you have proper IP address entries mapped with valid host name in the host file of the system.

Do you also have multiple NIC cards ? If yes then make sure you have nic priority set mandatorily and same written first in the hosts file

Regards,

Sarvjot Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

here is the failing block of the install logs, step "updating servers".

A tmp CMS was already started and stopped at previous step.

The tmp CMS at this step is started and active (SQL connection to SQLServer, filesystem read/write) but it does not open its port 6400 (I guess its startup sequence is incomplete before the install process timeout trying to reach it)

Logs:

Attempting to start CMS (1 of 1)...

argv[0] = E:/GCTI/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/win64_x64/CMS.exe

argv[1] = -name

argv[2] = CSIDCINFD001_temp_20141029_081402.cms

argv[3] = -dbinfo

argv[4] = _boe_CSIDCINFD001.dbinfo

argv[5] = -port

argv[6] = 6400

argv[7] = -noaudit

argv[8] = -tempmode

argv[9] = -fg

argv[10] = -restart

Using working directory E:\GCTI\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win64_x64.

Logging into CSIDCINFD001:6400 as user Administrator with secEnterprise authentication...

08:14:21.980 Sleeping for 5 second(s)...

(... repeats for 28min)

08:14:27.011 Logging into CSIDCINFD001:6400 as user Administrator with secEnterprise authentication...

08:42:25.999 Stopping CMS...

Logging into CSIDCINFD001:6400 as user Administrator with secEnterprise authentication...

08:42:32.061 ERROR: Could not reach CMS 'CSIDCINFD001:6400'. Specify the correct host and port and check for network issues. (FWM 20030)

08:42:32.280 2014/10/29, 08:42:32: RunRedistProgram: return value -1

08:42:32.280 [RunCommandAndSetProperty] wProperty = AddNodeFailed

08:42:32.280 [RunCommandAndSetProperty] wDefault  = true

08:42:32.280 [RunCommandAndSetProperty] wReturnCodesSet  = 0;-1;255

08:42:32.280 [RunCommandAndSetProperty] wValuesSet       = false;true;true

08:42:32.280 [RunCommandAndSetProperty] i = 0

08:42:32.280 [RunCommandAndSetProperty] i = -1

08:42:32.280 NativeActionExecutor: restoring path.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will retry an install with a hostname file; the actual system was relying only on the DNS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The install failed as well with the host file, same issue, install fails at step "updating servers" where CMS does not have time to complete its loading task before install timeout.

Is there a way to have trace log on those tmp CMS started during install?

Former Member
0 Kudos

could you check note 1848803 ?

normally temp CMS will be created if you are running a repair session.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Im running a fresh install and a CMS named <hostname>_temp_20141029_081402.cms is "started" by the install process.

It fails to open the 6400 port at the "updating servers" step but it starts successfully at other steps or post install.