cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running ERP app servers on Windows with back-end HANA database

brent_eckhout2
Explorer
0 Kudos

I was wondering if running ERP 6.0 application servers on a Windows platform with a back-end SOH / HANA database is a supported configuration?  If so, what are the benefits and pitfalls with this configuration?

Thanks,

Brent

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

petr_solberg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Brent,

is this an existing ECC system which you want to migrate to Hana, or a new installation.

For an existing system which you would migrate to Hana (db), then it is supported to keep the existing application servers.

For a new installation, if you have an OSS User, go to

https://service.sap.com/instguidesnw

click on NW 7.4 on the left side

then click on Installations

then scroll down and click on the link Installations NW7.1 and higher

then in the new window, scroll down to the section Hana DB

then you will see the Installation guide where Hana is the DB for Windows ABAP and Windows Java.

So yes, Hana Appliance and DB combined with Windows application server(s) is supported.

Here's the guide,

SAP Systems Based on the Application Server ABAP of SAP NetWeaver on Windows: SAP HANA Database

Kind regards,

Andy.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Brent,

I came across this post and wanted to find out if you guys went ahead with using windows app server on HANA DB and if so what has been your experience so far ? We are a windows shop and migrating to SOH.

Thanks,

MK

brent_eckhout2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Mustafa,

We haven't migrated yet to SoH / HANA configuration. So the decision on which platform to use for the SoH application instances is still pending.  We have the Windows platform as ERP application host now and have had no issues with it running our application servers.  Although we have never had a problem when patching the Window servers, the volume of the security patches released by Microsoft can be challenging at times.  This will be the primary reason we may switch to Linux-based SoH app servers when migrate the ERP database to HANA.  The patching for Linux systems is less than the patching for Windows.

former_member1232
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We are using currently SoH with Redhat on HANA and Windows on Apps. Both OS are fully compatible.

brent_eckhout2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Andy -- thank you for the response back.  Do you have any insight if a SOH configuration locks in a customer to the Linux platform only?  In other words, Windows-based ABAP Application Servers (separate instance) should work with a SOH configured HANA database. 

petr_solberg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Brent,

in a nutshell,

In other words, Windows-based ABAP Application Servers (separate instance) should work with a SOH configured HANA database.

Yes, this is confirmed in the document linked in my previous reply.

Do you have any insight if a SOH configuration locks in a customer to the Linux platform only?

No, buying a pre-configured Hana Appliance running RedHat or Suse does not lock a customer into going down the Linux route for everything.

Let me explain further,

in SAP systems installations there are two flavours of architecture

. Homogenious

this means, the DB/CI Server and the Application Server(s) have the same type of Server and

the same Operating System

eg: Windows Server for the DB/CI

Windows Server for the Application Server

or

IBM LPAR for DB/CI

IBM LPAR for the Application Server

etc

and

. Heterogenious

this means, the DB/CI Server has one type of Server and Operating System and the Application

Server(s) have a different Server or Operating System

eg: IBM LPAR for the DB/CI

Windows Server for the Application Server

(this works I've seen it in action)

So far, in the Hana world, customers have been forced to buy a Hana Appliance (pre-configured) from the Hardware/Server vendor, eg IBM, HP, Dell, etc and until now the only supported Operating Systems are Suse and RedHat.

And for a lot of customers, they are probably running their SAP systems on different O/S's eg Windows, or AIX, or HPUX, and so the Hana server is an anomaly in their datacenter server strategy.

But as shown above buying the Hana Appliance which runs on Linux does not force the customer to go down the Linux route for everything.

Speaking from experience I would say for most large customers, their Hana SAP Systems will have the Hana Appliance on the Linux and with the Application Server(s) using the customer's favourite hardware and operating system and therefore, I would say most Hana systems are heterogenius systems.

There is something called Tailored Data Center Integration, where customers install their own Hana DB Instance but in my opinion so far for most customers that is not yet a viable option, and on top of this, the democratization of the Hana on-premise platform is not yet complete and therefore, the customer can still only install their Hana DB on specific hardware/servers with RedHat or Suse Operating System, so it's not like a customer can install their own Hana DB instance on one of their existing IBM LPARs - this will be the next stage of Hana's path to maturity.

Hope that helps if it's not clear let me know.

Best regards,

Andy.