SAP TechEd Discussions
Join the conversation around SAP TechEd! Discuss details of technical sessions and workshops and anything else conference related.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As an SAP University Alliances Student I would like to know others thoughts about a beginners guide to coding, I am looking for Input here!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to our professor Dr. Simha Magal Grand Valley State University will be hosting a DemoJam with schools around our area. I am personally lacking with coding skills (Java or ABAP??) and would like to hear anyone's input on the subject! I looked online and was overwhelmed with the choices as I don't have experience with coding and I was hoping to get some answers here before wasting my money on the wrong book!

Thank you for your input,

Megan Laughlin

Grand Valley State University

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you looking for an introduction to coding?

Maybe look at MIT SCRATCH class?

I took an Intro to Java course years ago and we first learned Scratch

13 REPLIES 13

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you looking for an introduction to coding?

Maybe look at MIT SCRATCH class?

I took an Intro to Java course years ago and we first learned Scratch

0 Kudos

Yes I am looking into an introduction to coding to get a feel for it!

Could you explain what Scratch is?? Please?

Thank you for your response!

0 Kudos

Hi,

The site is scratch.mit.edu

check it out for examples and try it

It is intended as an intro to programming

Good luck

0 Kudos

Thank you for introducing me to scratch!! It's awesome!

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you have a certain focus area or platform that's drawing you to Java and/or ABAP?  Are you more interested on UI/UX or is there a certain process area or application stack that you like?

Reason I ask, is that while Java and ABAP are definitely marketable skills, JavaScript/HTML/CoffeeScript, and server-side variants XSJS and Node.JS are also relevant and popular items (in my opinion.)

0 Kudos

Michael- Honestly I have no clue which one I'm interested in. The reason I'm going to be teaching myself coding is because our team for the DemoJam here at GVSU is lacking when it comes to people with coding experience. If you could guide me in the right direction that would be great. I'm very inexperienced (obviously) and could use any input at this time!

0 Kudos

Hey Megan,

The reason I ask is that depending on where you decide to go (within or outside of SAP's technology), that'll drive what the relevant language choices are.  ABAP being an example of one that is pretty much specific to SAP NetWeaver platforms.  Java is a bit more universal unless you end up using Microsoft technology which then will be .NET, so it's all over the board.  And then there's web-based development which gets into HTML/JavaScript/PHP/Ruby/etc so there's plenty of choices but I'd say first would be to ask yourself what's interesting to you so that you don't pick up a language that ultimately you do not use.

Along the same lines as 's suggestion from Scratch, I've heard good things about App Academy as well (App Academy) - This would be if web-based development is something that you gravitate towards.  Be sure to skim the curriculum of course.  (This is all non-SAP exclusive curriculum so again depending on where you are aiming, this may or may not be relevant for you.)

Hope this helps!  It's most definitely an exciting era to be in during college right now if technology is an interest to you!  So much has change in the last 20 years and I'm still told I'm 'not that old' to be saying that

keohanster
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Megan,

Mike and Tammy gave you great advice.   Definitely check out Learn | Code.org - even if it is geared towards much younger people.

Is there an independent activities period at GVSU?  That is the period of time between Christmas break and when classes resume at MIT.  At MIT, we have tons of classes taught by and for students on a wide variety of topics (including chocolate appreciation and Charm School).  I wonder if GVSU might have the same offerings?  There may be some weeklong intro courses that you could try (without a significant time/money investment).

Keep us posted...

Sue

0 Kudos

Hello Susan!!

Thank you so much for making me feel a part of this community!! I plan check out your learn code.org (I don't mind if it is for younger people, it's a place to start!!)

I will have to check on the independent activities period because I'm not sure!! But I will definitely look into it! After all knowledge is power

I will keep you posted!

-Megan

0 Kudos

I have to say that I am giving extra attention to this discussion thread because I am sure that for every person asking the original question that asked, there are 10 others that have that same question that are either lurkers or are too shy to initiate a new or similar thread.

This is a topic near and dear to my heart when it comes to incubating development talent and augmenting it so that the enthusiasm can be channeled to the right place sooner rather than later.  I really hope that the SAP University Alliance program pans out into a success most importantly for the voluntary participants and secondarily but more broadly for the success for the SAP ecosystem to recruit/retain new talent and ideas.

0 Kudos

Thank you so much all of your input! It has been very helpful! I will be receiving "Head First Java" today! I can't wait to dig in and start learning. Through this post I have gotten some great feedback! I started working on Scratch.mit.edu which has been very helpful. I will be exploring more this weekend, this week has been crazy trying to connect with all the people I met as well as catching up with school.

I cannot wait to see what my future holds! I cannot thank you enough your knowledge/opinions!! I have been sharing this information I have received on this discussion with my professors as well as my classmates! GVSU thanks you for your participation!

Thank you,

Megan

0 Kudos

I just saw this today -   Animation Project_Made with Code

Instead of being a #dataviz #datageek with #saplumira, you can code your own monster!  Let us know how you make out, Megan!

0 Kudos

Thank you I will check it out and keep you updated!!