cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report generated using ? symbol instead of Bullet sysmbol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

After deploying the application in Websphere server. I tried hitting from Unix Environment. But the ? symbol is being displayed instead of Bullet symbol. Can any one have idea why the this behavior in Unix environment as it is working fine in Windows environment.

Suggestions are appreciated

Thanks

Penchal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

The symbol is a font, find a font on Unix that has that character then it should work for you.

I believe you need to install the font family on the UNIX server.

Check your OS Manual on how to use and manage fonts.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Williams,

Please help me where to place the list of fonts in Unix.

Thanks

Penchal

0 Kudos

Hi Roa,

Refer to your UNIX OS Help manual on how to add font sets. Try Googling it also, lots of help on how to... That's where I found it last time I looked for more info.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Williams,

I am unable to find the Bullet symbol in my fonts. Even i copied all the fonts which are available in Windows to Unix. But i am not getting that Bullet seems to be a conversion issue.

Can u please help me in finding the Exact Font name for Bullet symbol.

Thanks

Penchal

raghavendra_hullur
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In addition to what Don has suggested, you can check for below points:

If you include a bullet in a word document and check the font type by selecting the bullet, you can see that it's from font type Symbol.

So, check whether you have Symbol font installed on Unix system.

Also, check which font is currently being used when you click the ? symbol you are getting.

Thanks,

Raghavendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghavendra,

It is giving Arial font only as same as Crystal report tool but printing dot(.) symbol on word document. if i place all the list of Arial fonts i am getting '?' mark symbol. If i remove few fonts related to Arial then i am getting dot symbol  . I am able to see the Text with Arial but i couldn't see the Bullet symbol. I am facing issue with this symbol only in Arial font,Even i am able to print Pipe Symbols. I don't know how to resolve the issue. i didn't see any thread related to my issue in Google am i facing any strange issue?

Thanks

Penchal

0 Kudos

Hi Penchal,

When you add fonts to Windows the OS will actually map various character values to Font Families. What those are seem to be random at times, Tahoma is commonly used also.

So on my Windows PC when I start Character Map for Arial I don't see the bullet:

What may help is to use ASCII() formula to find the character you want to use. According to this Google search it found an Adobe link on UNIX.

Symbol and Zapf Dingbats fonts mat be used:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FrameMaker/8.0/help.html?content=Chap2-FrameMaker-Basics_107.html

So what you need to do is find a common font and find the ASCII equivalent value and use that. You can't simply copy and paste in the character from a Word Doc. In that case CR is pasting the character in as a little picture.

Don