cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ODBC for CR VS2010 (32 bit runtime 13.0.9) on Windows 2012

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I've setup an application that was developed using cr vs2010, on the Windows 2012 Server I've installed the 32bit 13..09 runtime.

It's a completely fresh Windows 2012 machine, SQL Server is not installed, neither is the SQL Native 10 Client.

The DB Server has SQL Server 2008 R2.

Now the question is about the ODBC driver...

When I setup the 32 bit ODBC connection, in the section where you select the driver there is an entry named "SQL Server" with the version number 6.03.9600.16384.

I've done some primitive testing our reports using this driver instead of the older 10 native client ones, some reports have parameters, some have functions some don't... all seem to work fine.

Is this ok to continue with or should I still install and use the native 10 client drivers on a Windows 2012 machine?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

MS has limited support for the MDAC SQL Driver in their newer DB Server versions. It's better to use what MS supports rather than "it works but..."

Better to use the Native 10 driver.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmm... I just found this Support Policies for SQL Server Native Client which is basically saying that for Windows 2012 Native Client 10 isn't support... and furthermore for Windows 2012 support I would have to use Native Client 11.... hmmm... still confused.

SQL Server Native Client 10.0 (SQL Server 2008)

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, or later
  • Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, or later
  • Microsoft Windows Vista
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2008

SQL Server Native Client 10.5 (SQL Server 2008 R2)

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, or later
  • Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later
  • Microsoft Windows 7

SQL Server Native Client 11.0 (SQL Server 2012 and SQL Server 2014)

• Microsoft Windows 7
  • Microsoft Windows 8
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2012

ODBC Support Policies

Applications should use the SQL Server ODBC driver included with the Windows operating system. You can use the SQL Server Native Client ODBC driver if the application is certified it for use with a specific version of SQL Server Native Client.

Also in a PDF I've found on SAP site (named SAP Crystal Reports, developer version for Microsoft Visual Studio - Supported Platforms - which is dated October 23, 2014)  it says...

Supported Database Connectivity

NAME                                Provider

Microsoft SQL Server          Microsoft ODBC MDAC 2.8           

2008 / 2008 R2

Which to me implies that you should be using the MDAC 2.8 drivers for SQL Server 2008 R2

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Interesting, I never saw that MS doesn't support Native 10, good to know.... I find it work better than the others...

Yes that Native Server driver is supported for as much as SQL Server Supports it. So remember if the DB doesn't support what you are doing CR can't either, true for any dependency.

Just because we noted it works in our Platforms PDF simply means it will work as far as the DB server supports it, it doesn't mean it works with every DB server.

And it was nice because MS never changed the name of the client dll, now that MS is changing it so we have to update our DB connector to recognize the new client and generate the SQL accordingly.

So yes it does become a pain to manage, for you and CR.

Also, MS noted they are dropping the OLE DB Provider and suggesting everyone go to ODBC, it's cross platform.

This means for your DSN's depending on which version of MS SQL you are using requires the correct client to be installed and the DSN using the appropriate one. As far as CR is concerned we simply connect through the ODBC layer, if the client doesn't work CR won't either... But it makes it easier for CR to manage, not you, just make sure the DSN is on the client PC and then CR will work...

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your replies... after some careful consideration I'm going to try to go with Native 11...

It is supported by Microsoft and at least to some extent by yourselves.

Name

Provider

32-bit

64-bit

Microsoft SQL Server

2008 / 2008 R2

Microsoft ODBC MDAC 2.8       

Yes

Yes

Microsoft SQL Server

Microsoft ODBC MDAC 2.8

SQL Server Native Client 11

Yes

Yes

Microsoft SQL Server

SQL Server ODBC Native Client 11 (SQLNCLI11.DLL)

ODBC driver 11 for SQL Server (MSODBCSQL11.DLL)

Yes

Yes

0 Kudos

Good plan... As far as I have tested that client dll also works in all versions so it should be safe to use...

Thanks for the update.

Answers (0)