cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Objects 4.1 BOE.ear Large file size - Websphere

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there any way to reduce the size of the BOE.ear/BOE.war file deployed to Websphere? The BOE.ear file is over 1 GB in size. If Websphere is running on AIX is it really necessary to have .exe files included in the package that reference a Windows operating system? There are also other "plug-in" files that reference other platforms like linux_64 and solaris. Are these necessary as well? It would be nice if the BOE.ear file could be built specifically for both Web platform and OS.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member367418
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

We are also experiencing the same issue in regards to the huge BOE.war package, due to all the apps being in there versus the way it was done in BOXI R3.1

In our case we have Tomcat servers that only have the report viewers package for BOXI R3.1, since that is the only thing needed for some of our web apps.

Trying to reproduce that with BI Platform 4.1 is my current challenge - deploying that huge war file on our app servers just to get a report viewer is out of the question (also, users are not allowed direct access to the BusinessObjects server to run reports in our setup, it is behind a firewall) .

I have been able to reduce the size of the BOE.war file with wdeploy.  I have listed specific steps I did in this post (in the second reply):

It is possible my initial approach is not supported, but I wanted to let you know what I have tried so far.  I am still in the process of finding a good solution to this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

As Saloua has mentioned the BOE web application now comes integrated for CMC, Launchpad, AnalyticalReporting, etc. which were all individual webapps in XI 3.1.

Manual modification to the BOE webapp is not supported.

However, you could also consider "splitting" the web applications. This separates the static content (served by an additional web server) and dynamic content (hosted on the web application server).

The size of the content deployed on each server reduces, and consequently the number of requests for static content do not reach the web application server and likewise for dynamic content on the web server.

Page 23 of the below guide explains this in detail:

Web Application Deployment Guide - 4.1 Support Package 3

This would require additional configuration, but addresses the concern of overheads, request handling and performance.

Hope this helps.

-Sid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

In XI3.1 there were no BOE.ear/.war, it was splitted by web platform, in BI4 it's centralized all of them in one file, unfortunately it's not supported in SAP to split the BOE.ear or BOE.war, but as a workarrounf you can encrease the heap size of websphere and use the websphere web page to deploy the BOE.war

Regards,

Saloua

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saloua,

Thanks for the response. We have been able to successfully deploy the BOE.war file. Our concern now is the file size and the overhead it causes. When starting Websphere it takes a long time for the JVM to startup; especially if you clear cache and tmp files.We are just looking to reduce the file size to remove some of the unnecessary overhead. Looks like we are stuck with what we have.

Regards,

Jason