cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concatenate an entire column into a single cell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have a requirement to concatenate multiple values into one cell and have them grouped by a primary dimension. I have seen a solution for BOXI 3.1 but when I try it in 4.1, I don't seem to get the same results. I was wondering if there was a new work around for this solution?

Here is a sample of how my data is structured...

Animal

Owners

DogsBob
CatsMatt
GoatsMike
ChickensJake
DogsRyan
CatsBrian
GoatsJeff
ChickensChristine
DogsAlex
GoatsOlaf
GoatsVictor
CatsVanessa
CatsLilly
CatsMackenzie
CatsJackie

Here is what I am trying to accomplish...

AnimalOwners
DogsBob, Ryan, Alex
CatsMatt, Brian, Vanessa, Lilly, Mackenzie, Jackie
GoatsMike, Victor, Olaf, Jeff
ChickensChristine

The solution I found that doesn't work in 4.1 is this...

·        Create a variable [VAR Max CATEGORY = Max([Category]) In ([Lines]) to find the maximum CATEGORY with respect to each Line

·        Create a variable [VAR Concat CATEGORY = CATEGORY +", "+ Previous(Self), to concatenate the CATEGORY value with it's previous row value

·        Create a 3rd variable [VAR Max Concat CATEGORY = [VAR Concat CATEGORY Where ([Category]=[VAR Max Category]). This variable basically gives only those rows of [VAR Concat CATEGORY where the value of the CATEGORY is maximum for that particular Line

·        Create a variable [VAR CATEGORY =If(IsNull(Previous([VAR Max Concat Category]));Substr([VAR Max Concat Category];1;Length([VAR Max Concat Category])-2);Substr([VAR Max Concat Category];1;Pos([VAR Max Concat Category];Previous([VAR Max Concat Category]))-3))

Basically, the formula checks if the previous value of VAR Max Concat Category is NULL.

Source: http://f100smai.benxbrain.com/en/FALSE-How-do-I-concatenate-a-single-field-from-multiple-rows-in-BOX...

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Ryan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan,

The document link which you referred should work as you intend like below. I tried in BO 4.0 its works for me.

Create 4 Variables which includes 1 Measure and 3 Dimension Variables

1. MaxOwner

= Max([Owner]) In ([Animals])

2. ConcatOwner

=[Owner] +", "+ Previous(Self)

3. MaxConcatOwner

= [ConcatOwner] Where ([Owner]=[MaxOwner])

4. FinalOwner

=If(IsNull(Previous([MaxConcatOwner]));Substr([MaxConcatOwner];1;Length([MaxConcatOwner])-2);Substr([MaxConcatOwner];1;Pos([MaxConcatOwner];Previous([MaxConcatOwner]))-3))

Drag the Animal Object and then the FinalOwner Variable to Vertical Table will retrieve information which you want to achieve.

---Raji. S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raji,

Thank you for clarifying that this worked for you. I was able to use your formulas to get what I needed. I realized there is not enough data for the data set that I am using. So I imported an excel spreadsheet and used this formulas and it worked like a charm!

Best,
Ryan

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan,

If your DB is oracle 11G R2 , then use "LISTAGG" function as below. it give the same output as you expect.

select    Animal,

LISTAGG( Owners, ',') WITHIN GROUP (ORDER BY Animal) As "Owners_List"

FROM    From_table_name

Group by Animal;

Regards,

Shanmuga

Former Member
0 Kudos

select animal, wa_owners(' ' || owners) as owners from your_table

group by animal:

Former Member
0 Kudos

In this link, some user explained the changes he made to the above formula to make it work.

Following link may help:

http://bi.srivatsakr.com/2011/08/converting-rows-into-single-cell-comma.html