cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIP 4.1 SP4 Uninstall Causes Fail After Reinstall

russell_day2
Participant
0 Kudos

I have installed Business Objects (BIP?  BOE? BOBJ?) 4.1 SP4 on Windows 2012 for a three system landscape.  One of them accidentally ended up on the wrong drive.

I checked the admin guide and the installation guide.  I did not find anything about uninstalling it, so I uninstalled using the Windows control panel Programs and Features option.

It removed the services but left the directory in C:\Program Files(x86), so I deleted it, restarted the server and reinstalled on the correct drive.

The new installation does not start.  In the new installation's logging directory I see an SIA trace:

None,2014 10 31 17:05:32:734,"[Node Name: APBOQ][User Name: AP-BOQ$]Server APBOQRequest PortPublished Addresses: AP-BOQ.xxx.com:6410.

Listening on port(s): 10.204.1.82:6410, [0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1]:6410."

Error,2014 10 31 17:05:34:031,"Failed to create directory C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\conf\APBOQ, NCS instrumentation could be off."

None,2014 10 31 17:05:34:252,"[Node Name: APBOQ][User Name: AP-BOQ$]Server Intelligence Agent is running."

None,2014 10 31 17:05:36:363,"[Node Name: APBOQ][User Name: AP-BOQ$]Server Intelligence Agent: CMS APBOQ.CentralManagementServer is being auto-booted."

Error,2014 10 31 17:05:36:427,"[Node Name: APBOQ][User Name: AP-BOQ$]Server Intelligence Agent: server APBOQ.CentralManagementServer failed to launch. It is possible the working directory or file path is invalid. CreateProcess error=267, The directory name is invalid"

Error,2014 10 31 17:05:36:428,Invalid path: C:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/win64_x64//cms.exe with working dir C:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/win64_x64/.

None,2014 10 31 17:06:37:826,"[Node Name: APBOQ][User Name: AP-BOQ$]Server Intelligence Agent is stopping."

The SIA is trying to find cmd.exe in the original installation. There is clearly some part of the original installation that has not been removed, and SIA is finding it and using it to find files.

Do you, by any chance, know where what I need to do to fix this?

Thank you for your help.

Russ

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

russell_day2
Participant
0 Kudos

Solved it - Cleaned out the CMS and AUD databases.

There is an option "Reset existing database" which I did not select.

Once the database was reset, everything worked fine!

So the procedure is:

1691555 - How to completely remove / uninstall SAP BO BI 4.0 from the system?

Then reinstall, being careful to select the "Reset existing database" option for the CMS database.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Russell,

Have a look at the following registry keys:

-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SAP Business Objects

-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>SAP Business Objects

-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\SAP Business Objects

It is highly recommended to take a backup before deleting or altering any folder or registry entries.

If you can afford the time, you might follow the following approach:

A. Completely remove SAP BI 4.1 SP4 with the steps described in

1691555 - How to completely remove / uninstall SAP BO BI 4.0 from the system?

B. Install SAP BI 4.1 SP4 in the correct path.

Regards,

Ilias

russell_day2
Participant
0 Kudos

Ilias,

Thank you for your reply.  I followed the note as best I count.  My server is 2012 and I was not able to find directories TEMP and INSTALL.

I deleted the directory, the registry keys and anything else I could find - still getting the same errors.

I think I will have to get the windows guys to rebuild the server, which is not good.

The BOE documentation still needs a lot of work.

Russ.

russell_day2
Participant
0 Kudos

I hunted through the registry for "Business" and found a bunch of Tomcat entries that still had the old path.  I fixed them, restart the machine, but the problem persists.

The string "cms.exe" which is the program at the end of the bad path in the log above, is not found by the registry find command.

I have searched the C: and 😧 file systems with Windows Explorer search (with the "And contents" option selected) but it does not find anything.   I am mystified.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

There are some entries in your windows registry still pointing to the old install.

Open the registry editor and find the keyword 'business objects' and delete all the entries pointing to

"C:\Program Files(x86)".

You can also achieve this using any registry cleaner software available.

-Nikhil Nair

russell_day2
Participant
0 Kudos

I searched in the registry for the first part of the C:\ path - not found.  They have all been updated to D:/  I think it is getting the information from somewhere outside the registry.