cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues in Migrating from SAP 3.1 to SAP BI 4.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have SAP BO 3.1 in our environment and now we are upgrading to SAP BI 4.1 SP1.

I have freshly installed SAP 4.1 on a new Windows server and now I want to migrate all the users, user groups ,universe,webi reports(Public folder, Favourites,Inboxes) from 3.1 to 4.1 using the Upgrade Management Tool.

We have around 200 users and around 4000 webi reports in our system. We also have enabled AD Authentication and configured SSO.

SAP 4.1 Server details  : RAM : 24GB , Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise 64-bit Operating System ,Hard Disk 500Gb

Below are different scenarios  tried .

Case 1 : Imported all the users, universe,folder and objects into a Biar file  say test.biar from 3.1 using Import Wizard

5 biar files(test.biar,test1.biar etc) got created

Copied all the biar files to the SAP 4.1 installed server.

In the UMT I choosed Complete and Biar to Live option

I am getting the below error

Input/output exception occured : FWM 04013

Case 2 : In the UMT I choosed Complete and Live to Live option

I am getting the below error

Upgrade process has been interrupted by an error :Input/output exception occured :'There is not enough space on the disk('FWM 04013')

Please help me in this issue.

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions.

I was able to solve the issue by following the below KB articles

1654423  - Migrations fails or take too long when using SAP BusinessObjects Upgrade Management Tool ...

1650107 - Upgrade Management Tool - Out of disk space

Regards,

Pavithra P

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pavithra,

Thanks for sharing your solution.

we are trying to do exact similar  using BIAR as there is no network between 3.1 and 4.1.

can you please let me know,How have you created Small chunks of BIAR Files in 3.1 and is 4.1 UMT accepts all small files in one go.

is any one know, numbers of objects and universe etc can be saved with size of 2 gb BIAR file.

Thanks

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Generally it is recommended to have 2x - 3x the amount of source Filestore as FREE temp space on the destination server.

Also, when running UMT, keep an eye on the RAM being utilized. If needed, increase HEAP size allotted to UMT: 1760954 - Upgrade management tool command line fails to migrate content with a Invalid Batch Id erro...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you by chance have separate OS and data disks, and if so, have you checked your TEMP variables? We ran into a similar problem using UMT when it wrote all the files (temporarily) into the TEMP directory, which defaulted to the much smaller OS volume, rather than the data volume.

pavan_k11
Active Participant
0 Kudos
  1. Configure File store and other services
  2. Configure AD & SSO on destination
  3. Then bring custom security or promote users, users and groups along with security to destination
  4. Now promote all dependencies (universe and connections) with security
  5. Then Events , server groups (if any)
  6. Reports with security
  7. Inbox, favoritefolder
Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

sounds like a problem with the filestores

are you positive there's sufficient disk, and that the location(s) being written to are correct?

you can use the CMC > system configuration wizard to check/correct (post installation)

do keep an eye on SAP Note 1966041 - System Config Wizard throws java stack trace

regards,

H