Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use recovery feature in SAP HANA Studio

hardik_patel
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have HANA system running on AWS with Rev72 and we are trying to use recovery feature from HANA studio Rev72 but I am getting below blank screen at the last step. I think this is a bug but not sure. We also tried in HANA studio rev84 but same blank screen at Recovery Execution Summary. can someone help? Our system is currently stop.

maykellpereira
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Has anyone had a solution to the problem?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

odilon
0 Kudos

It might happen when you restored the SystemDB and are trying to restore an unexisting tenant.

If that's the case, using <sid>adm, go to /hana/shared/<Hana SID>/HDB<Instance Nr>/<Hostname>/trace and check if you have a folder named DB_<Tenant SID>.

If not, create this folder with permissions 754. Then, inside it, create a blank file named backup.log

Example:

Hana SID: S4H Tenant SID: S4P Instance Nr: 00 Host: myhanahost

cd /hana/shared/S4H/HDB00/myhanahost/trace

mkdir DB_S4P

chmod 754 DB_S4P

touch DB_S4P/backup.log

Then try again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Although I cannot confirm if this is a bug with HANA Revision 72 or 84 as I did not come across it, I can definitely tell you where to look for to tarck the progress of the recovery

From HANA Studio-> Diagnosis files-> backup.log

This file should tell you the progress of any backup or recovery tasks that are running or occurred in the past

The good news is even if the HANA system is inaccessible(as in Hardik Patel's case) you can connect to the HANA studio using the SIDADM user and open the connection in DIAGNOSTIC Mode to check this backup.log file

My recovery screen had been accidentally closed during a Production to Non production refresh and I had to use this log to track the progress as the HANA system is inaccessible during the refresh

Hope that helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sunil,

I found the backup.log file and could see the entries associated with my user backup of my new instance.  

Unfortunately I was not able to see any evidence of my attempts to restore the old instance data, hence did not get any new insight into the cause of my blank 'Recovery Execution Summary' screen.

Since I was only experimenting, this is no big loss.  Hence I'll just start afresh with the new instance.

Thanks again.  Please consider this closed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Oliver good to know the suggestion helped

Please mark the discussion closed by marking the answer for the convenience of other users

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've hit the same blank screen issue migrating a Rev80 backup to a Rev90 fresh instance.

AFAIK, the backup files permissions and ownership are very similar to those made on the fresh instance

Where should I look for any clues -- is there such a thing as a 'Recovery log'?

Thanks in advance,

Oliver