cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never used PowerBuilder

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey PowerBuilder Community,

I'm a web app guy, ColdFusion, PHP, ASP .NET and stuff, but I am inheiriting two PowerBuilder 10 apps into the group of applications that I support.  I need a couple quick answers, and will be back here often to learn.

1) Can I use the current release of PowerBuilder tools to support my applications that are written in 10.5, or do I need to get an older release of the software?

2) Where can I get the software I need?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) Can I use the current release of PowerBuilder tools to support my applications that are written in 10.5, or do I need to get an older release of the software?

You would have to migrate the app to the current version, but once you did that you'd be fine.

2) Where can I get the software I need?

Where you located at?  If you're in the US, you can get it online from several sources, including TechXtend

TechXtend - Software, Hardware, Services - Value Added Solution Provider since 1982

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm in the US.  The issue I am dealing with is nobody wants to upgrade anything.  Like a lot of the apps I support, these two are "slated to be replaced" in the near future.  I know that means I'll be supporting them for years.  I also know nobody is going to budget $3k for software in the near future either.

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What did they do with the license they had for 10.5 that they originally developed it with.  They should be able to use that.  They should still have the software somewhere as well.

"slated to be replaced" always takes longer to accomplish (and more money than planned) than originally thought.  If they don't have the 10.5 license, they should invest the $3K for the latest version, because they'll likely be using it for a lot longer than they think they will be.

Either that, or migrate now.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We migrated some applications ourself from 10.5 and onwards to 12.5. Never had any major problems. Might i suggest you download the 30 day trial of 12.5 and try the migration (its an automated process) and see what happens. If the migration works you can consider purchasing the 12.5 licenses. If not you can still order the 10.5.