cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I work on Crystal Report 8.5 without selecting any database.

ravi_sharma9390
Explorer
0 Kudos

I am working on VB6.0 and wanna add crystal report 8.5 with it.

In crystal it ask database n all details about table and fields.

But what I want is to fire a query on VB6.0 code and call those fields in the crystal report nothing else I want to give in crystal.

This is because my database will be dynamic to every time I have to set the location of database table/view/SP which I don't wanna do.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi

What you are trying to do is covered under Report Creation APIs controlled by the craxddrt.dll. Report creation APIs need additional licensing (and in CR 8.5 it was not cheap...). So, you have two choices:

1) Get licensing to be able to use craxddrt.dll and the report creation APIs (sales ph: 866-681-3435

[ Worldwide Office Locations | SAP]

2) Download the free "SAP Crystal Reports, Developer Version for Visual Studio .NET" and install it with VS 2010 / 2012 / 2013. You will then have to use the CR assemblies for .NET and the report creation APIs are free to use and a win is free to distribute also.

Let me know which of the above options you want to go with and I will provide additional information for you.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

ravi_sharma9390
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Ludek,

I didn't got your point, m working on VB6.0 and just don't want to use DSN of crystal report.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well either I don't get your point also or I need a better explanation of what you are looking to do. E.g.; write the steps you imagine you's need to do.

- Ludek

0 Kudos

CR 8.5 has been out of support for 10+ years. VB 6.0 is no longer supported by MS either. No support means good luck making this work in any current OS.

Only option now is to upgrade to VS 2010, 2012 or 2013 and use CR for Visual studio and inProc RAS to be able to create report from nothing, RCAPI.

See this link for examples using RAS RCAPI's:

NET RAS SDK Samples - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN Wiki

CR 8.5 did not have the ability to create reports without a data source attached to the report. CR 9 and above has that ability. You can no longer get CR 8.5 or Licensing for Report Creation for CR 8.5.

Only option now is to upgrade to CR for VS and use RAS to create reports "on the fly"

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ravi_sharma9390
Explorer
0 Kudos

M having a project on VB6.0. and the problem is that the database keep on changing as per financial year.

And as per my knowledge Crystal report 8.5 is supported by it.

M having a crystal report for this project but as I said the database keep on changing as per Financial Year and I have to make System DSN again n again for crystal report for this.

What I was thinking is to make a query on VB6.0 and call that query on CR with those fields which is specified in query. And don't wanna use any DSN.

I hope there must be any solution for this.

Thanks in Advance.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What can you not change the DSN or table to an existing report in code?

Why can you not simply use a selection formula for a particular year?

You're just repeating what you already said and both Don and I replied with what we thought were correct answers. On November 6 I also requested that you give us more details - describe the steps, that your app would need to do in order to get the results you want...

- Ludek