cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marking self answer in own thread

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

From past few days I have seen people create some thread and after getting several answer from forum member the thread owner say thanks to all and marked his thanks post as Helpful or Correct answer.

So do you think a thread owner or creater should get points on his / her thread is favourable ? Yes its very correct sometimes thread owner provides the final solution but then also is it great idea to get reward for his own query ? Please suggest.

BR,

Prakash 

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So do you think a thread owner or creater should get points on his / her thread is favourable ? Yes its very correct sometimes thread owner provides the final solution but then also is it great idea to get reward for his own query ? Please suggest.

We could re-enable receiving points for self-rating and somehow report which points have been assigned by other users and which have been assigned by yourself. We could then assign new badges for an amount of points received by yourself, for example:

Points-Cheater: In 10 of your threads, set one of your own posts as "correct"

Points-Cheater Plus: In 100 of your threads, set one or more of your posts as correct and/or helpful

Points-Cheater Super-Duper Mega: The amount of points you have assigned to yourself is 10 times greater than the amount assigned to you by other users!

Bonus: People who earned all three badges receive the "Master of Delusion" badge

Alternatively we could leave everything as it is 😆   (yes, let's do that..)

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm for the alternative. ^^

I have some threads, where I marked my answer as the correct one, because it just was the correct one. I don't want to get a cheater badge because I got back to a thread that can only be solved by waiting for the support ticket to be solved.

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I know I shouldn't but I'm ROFL

I'm one of those who doesn't care at all about badges yet of course checks my reputation all the time.

Does that make me a "gamer in spite of myself"?

Thanks for a hearty Friday laugh and see you in Berlin.

Betting you are even more witty in person.

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It just makes you sort of human I guess.

I also don't care that much about points (I used to care about T-shirts when this was called SDN and hopefully jackets and stuff but I never managed to go beyond my red 2K SDN support shirt).

Having said that, whenever I log on to SCN and I see that my point number has changed I do want to find out who done it.

It should be the perogative of the creater of the question to mark which answer was most helpful or correct. It should also be possible to mark their own answers in the thread as being the correct one, since that can be the case sometimes.

Now when someone decides to only mark his thanks guys! post as being the one and only correct post in a list of other helpful posts it just makes them look a bit like a short word for Richard but other than that I don't feel the need to have this behaviour policed or corrected in some way.

I think I'll go with Lukas' alternative

Cheers, Rob.

former_member182421
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There's a hidden badge:  "solved by myself Hero" , the secret behind this is: the correct answer must be "solved by myself" , but shhhhh don't spread the word

Cheers!

Luis

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rob wrote:

It just makes you sort of human I guess

That's me!  "Sort of human" .  I'm sure my 5 kids and 3 grandkids would quite agree entirely with you. And for the record I never got much beyond that 2K shirt either.  I was in favor of turning schwag into charitable giving which is what we are trying to do with

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ahh, don't get me wrong Steffi, I marked some of my posts in my own threads "correct" too, but that's because they were correct and should be highlighted as answer to my question at the top of my opening post. Guess I would have earned the low level cheater badge by now.

P.S. None of these posts was á la "solved by myself."

Betting you are even more witty in person.

Depends on the mood, really

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

keohanster
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've had a few of these come by recently, and on one hand, I don't think you gain enough points by marking your own answer as helpful for me to really care one way or another.  But then again, I don't care enough about 1, 5, or 20 points at all.

There have been many valid posts here about people who have later found a good solution - to even one of their *own* original posts! - and gone in and added the answer, which is clearly behavior we want to encourage.  Somehow I doubt these folks are then awarding themselves a ponit or two for the correct answer.

On the other, this OP was marking his 'Thank you' as 'helpful' - so the point OP should get a direct message asking him to not reward his own gratuitous posts?

Or should the OP get that ponit, because they did, after all, have the courtesy to thank the other members who contributed to the thread?

#deepthoughtsonaFriday

Sue

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes, the OP deserves some guidance if he marks his "thank you" as correct answer. it is not the correct answer and misleading/confusing  future readers. He does not get points for this, but it is a kind of lacking respect to his supporters (which he may not have intended)

keohanster
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you for being my moral compass.    I sent him a note with some guidance.

Happy Friday!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Susan,

Thanks for taking action. Its me only who raised this concern. But this is not the first time I have in several time but this time I raised my voice.

Br.,

Prakash

former_member191643
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

May be what SCN can do is, let the people who post mark their own answer as correct. But not award points to them.

This will avoid points-cheating and also help people to know what the actual correct answer is!

I hope I am making some sense.

former_member191643
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

May be what SCN can do is, let the people who post mark their own answer as correct. But not award points to them.

This will avoid points-cheating and also help people to know what the actual correct answer is!

I hope I am making some sense.

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sid,

This is the actual what is happening in SCN. Anyone will never able to receive any points when (s)he will mark his/her own reply as correct.

Even though it is applicable for moderator also.

Fortunately one interesting thing is that, if someone mark his own reply as correct then he will not receive any points but if the same reply unmarked as correct by moderator, then he will loss 10 points (which he didn't receive that)..

Regards

DP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey this thread took out lots of interesting facts from sap champs. Good to know few people care about points and few just want to win from colleagues.

But champs is it possible to think about a pointless system .

BR,

Prakash

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The thoughts are free, some even dream about a pointless system. wake up.

And some do not think when they try to cheat the system. But it is fun to catch them.

Do you really want to take the fun out of here?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chill out champ.... I just want share to something which I feel people have a look. The term pointless doesn't mean to all ... Its my opinion self marking should be pointless that doesnt mean everything will pointless.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I already said that you cannot get any points by marking own stuff as helpful or correct or rating it.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No, nobody can assign points to himself (this includes moderators).

And it would not be a good idea either in case of a qualified solution to the own question, as it would just open the door to ask some questions which can only be answered by the OP himself.

It is just good community behavior to close a question when a solution is found, regardless if this solution is given by a contributor or found by himself.

Did you know that the Oracle of Delphi  just answered on the 7th day of a month. People had to come several days ahead, had first to sacrifice and then pay the fee to ask the oracle. And all this for a vague answer....the world has changed

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I thought, you can't get points for marking your own posts as helpful or correct in your threads? Same as you don't get points of you rate your own content.

Regards,

Steffi.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Doesn't it fit to the quality of question?