cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your oppinion about the new orange SAP logo?

Former Member
0 Kudos

It seems, SAP will have a new logo from next january on.

How do you like it or what do you think about it?

I personally really liked the old one. It was nicely blue.

Thomas Wagner

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Wel... it's a logo as good as the older one.

Personally I'm more inclined to like blue stuff.
But hey, it does the job, you can easily read what it says and it's not too big.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind the change? Was there a need for it? Were there big customers still not using SAP  who might be persuaded with an orange smile?

Or is it sort of like the plot of Brewster's Millions wherein SAP has to squander huge amounts of money in a short time in order to gain hundredtimes fold the money they just wasted.

Speaking from experience, changing a logo for a big company is really really expensive.

Cheers, Rob.

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nice reference! haha

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rob Dielemans wrote:

Speaking from experience, changing a logo for a big company is really really expensive.

My thoughts exactly. As the paying customers, I'm sure we'd all prefer for the money to be spent elsewhere.

Don't like new logo at all. The color is not gold or even orange, looks more like dirty sand. The shape is boring. Did not notice a font change. If it's meant to be a smile then I'm guessing it's the evil one: "look where your license and maintenance fees went, bwahaha".

If you want to be an actual "gold standard" then just be one regardless of what color your logo is. Or if you change a logo then do something more radical. Otherwise it's neither here nor there, which is not a good image to project IMHO...

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah, Chris, we remember how much can be spent on "rebranding," eh? Oh well, I recall a very nice party in San Francisco over that one, with the wine flowing pretty much endlessly.

Answers (20)

Answers (20)

MK_Gee
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I, for one, am glad they decided to stick with the old logo. Like someone mentioned earlier, it's like a tattoo -- it can be primped and shined once in a while, but a successful company should NEVER overhaul a logo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

A logo speaks a lot , and gives a lot impression about a Company.

This new logo is just plain simple SAP over orange background.

But the earlier one with an Angular Cut at Right bottom and Registered R symbol at bottom is really distinct appealing and very catchy.

And last but not the least my favorite color Blue

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think a good logo, I like the new design)

dallas_marks
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Just noticed that the old blue logo is back on the SAP home page. Did the orange logo get the boot, or will it get a more robust roll-out next year?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Susan Keohan has posted an article in german language in this thread on november 21 which sais that the old logo will stay. I just checked if I can find an article in english language but I was not successful. So we can forget about the orange/gold logo and I think, this is good news.

Best regards,

Thomas

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Yes: the logo will remain blue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

not nice

former_member186401
Participant
0 Kudos

New log in the track!

thanga_prakash
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Old Blue is good and I liked it.

Old is always gold.

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

both of you are what, I think, SAP is trying to distance itself from...ie. blue = OLD.

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well I didn't see that one coming!

Poor McDermott, probably thought it a good idea to start fresh with a new logo and then your own people vote adamantly against it.

I think it is better this way, otherwise you risk the chance of losing branch recognition.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is a very interesting article.

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

I mean, it is really cool. I like that.

Thomas

former_member191643
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The old blue one will always be better. Whatever SAP is trying to imply with the colors and the font, normal people (non-SAP) hardly care about what it implies rather than how it looks.

The old blue one is my personal favorite.

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The old one was cool, clean & sober blue for the IBM roots 🙂

The new one... well at first I thought it was an Halloween joke, and I learned it was meant to symbolize simplification... partly missed as said, it won't be simple for SAP & partners to remove the old blue flag.

At least a good aspect, it might help for a while to quickly identify SAP latest documents.

I don't know if pumpkin/gold is a good color for a company moving to the cloud.

Does the cloud makes you think to blue sky, or to sun's gold ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I like the old blue one

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Former Member blogged about it .... with some nice history of the logo....I remember the blue shape WITH the "split" in it! haha

and here is another look at SAP branding through the years....including my favorite (haha)...the good ol' marketing wizardry of "the City of E" (hahahahahaha)

http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/filemgr?file_id=10149

...and one more with probably the best look at the evolution of the logo....

SAP Logo Evolution over 42 Years | Marketing to Business

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oh yeah, I remember the split now... had actually forgotten about it. I didn't care for the "Enjoy" logo with all the colors, as it was too "playful" and I felt like it should be more serious and business-like. Eh, whatever, I don't really care so much now. I do recall when just about every computer/software company had the "IBM lines" in their logos.

srinu_s1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Would prefer the old one but the new also not bad.

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Personally, Im not in favour of Logos changing for any company.. ever...

A logo should be like a permanent "tattoo", something that you will take to your grave.

pk

paul_bakker2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I enjoyed the old one... bring back the old one!

Former Member
0 Kudos

The "enojoy"-one? That was really colourful.

Thomas

keohanster
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'll go with the old blue logo any day.  And has SAP consulted with the multitude of partners who will also have to change all of *their* branding?    And ho, besides Orioles and perhaps Bengals fans, will want to wear orange?  Yes, I know it's the new black, but really.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think the orange (it's not gold to me ^^) looks fresh, but the shape is boring.

There goes the corporate identity, though. And they have to change all the colors everywhere.

BTW: The SCN-logo on the tabs looks like that, but it was always the SCN icon for me. Will be strange to see that for all SAP pages.

Former Member
0 Kudos

How about Orange and the Old Shape?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Would be a good point but it seems SAP has decided otherwise at the moment.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think, on the one hand one should always be open to changes, especially if they bring improvements, on the other hand companies like Daimler or BMW did not change their logos for a long time and they are easily recognized by most people.

About the similing "A", I think it was already there in the blue version since the late 90s or so.

Another thing: now it is rectangular, before not. I am not sure if there is a meaning to this.

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, the "smile" was there previously, but according to them, a lot of people did not pick up on it.

The gold was carefully chosen for all it's many connotations....."gold standard"...."golden opportunity"...."stay gold"....etc. They actually looked at yellow but then found the negative connotations that had (like in the US for example where yellow implies cowardice).

I am sure there is some explanation somewhere on the interwebs about it. But SAP has changed it several times over the years (unlike BMW as mentioned) so I am sure, this too shall pass. Remember the whole "Enjoy SAP" logo? haha

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I like the new orange one. But I would prefer the orange in the old shape instead of a dull rectangle

Benedict

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think perhaps it's the rectangle I dislike more than the gold color or the "smiley" A. Really, the font in the logo is hardly changed at all, other than making the A slightly wider to, as Chris said, reinforce the smiley. I suppose I just liked the old trapezoid, with its implication of speed, or flying into the future.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Interesting note on the smiling A already being in the blue version - it isn't as noticeable! In the orange without the contrast of the triangular line I find it to be "weak."

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

At TechEd && D-code in Vegas this year, the Mentors had the new logo explained. It makes sense for SAP's larger vision....the gold/orange.....the "smile" in the A (yep, it was always meant to be a smile) has been further enhanced to be more noticed.....all very purposeful.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm with you and Dev. I prefer the old one. It has sort of a high-tech implication in its design, it's clean and simple, and it's well-established and recognized. Perhaps we're just grumpy old men, though, stuck in our ways and unable to adapt to inevitable change.

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My vote for old one. Blue one is better than the new one.