cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BO Explorer - using RKF and CKF of a query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am currently in the learning phase of Business Objects 4.1 tools and have some unanswered questions.

I have recently started learning about the Explorer tool and was wondering whether there is a way I can use BEx queries as source in the Explorer tool. For now, I have created a relational data universe over the InfoCube using the Information Design Tool and used this new universe as a source in the Explorer tool but this did not bring in any of the existing BEx restricted key figures and calculated key figures.

Are there any other ways I can connect directly to the BEx query directly to take advantage of the defined restricted key figure and calculated key figure. There are about 100 RKF and CKF over an InfoCube and I would really like to take advantage of the existing elements.

I read through the discussion forums and found couple of different replies based on the version number.

Please do guide me if you have resolved a similar issue. Thanks for reading.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Grame,

The relational method is the only option with Explorer.  You have other options when using WebI & Analysis for OLAP but NOT with Explorer.

Regards,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ajay Gupta wrote:

Grame,

The relational method is the only option with Explorer.  You have other options when using WebI & Analysis for OLAP but NOT with Explorer.

Regards,

Ajay

Thanks for the reply Ajay. I was following the below thread that mentions about creating universe using XI 3.1 and then using the constructed universe through Explorer. Is this available in BO 4.1, please do explain about this if possible.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3417905

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Grame,

The blog link you provide also explains how to create Universe using Universe Design Tool (UDT and Information Design Tool (IDT).  I would suggest going with the UDT and create Universe as shown on the blog link.  The UDT has not changed much between XI 3.1 and BI 4.1, you can still use the document that fully explains how to create Universe against BW for XI 3.1 (see link)

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir31SP3/en/xi31_sp3_sap_olap_univ_en.pdf

Regards,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply Ajay. I was able to use the UDT to build a universe based on BEx query. The explorer is able to access this universe but the indexing fails when the number of attributed are too detailed, for example indexing company code, division, fiscal year and customer was fine but the moment I add something like material the indexing fails. Is there any quick setting that can fix this issue.

Would you suggest creating a universe through IDT and then develop the required CKF and RKF in the IDT itself instead of accessing BEx queries through the older UDT.

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Grame,

The Universe methods uses the MDX Engine so their is very limit changes that can be made on the BOBJ side.  You will need to do major tuning on the BW side, if this the method of reporting that will be required.

You may even need to enable tracing on the BW system to where the bottleneck

Regard,

Ajay

Answers (0)