cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where/how do I hire consulting?

Former Member
0 Kudos

My company is ready to contract an expert in working with ReportDocument/CrystalViewer in .Net at runtime; latest CR, latest .Net.  I am one of the 2 proficient software developers who have been working on embedding it in to our core software product, we are 90+% there, but have been stuck on the rest too long.

Parameters have just been a nightmare.  We have 3 functional scenarios as we bring a report to the viewer:

1. We know all parameter values, it is a 'system' report where the parameters are all under application control, and we want to supress the viewer from ever prompting/showing parameters

2. We have a starting set of parameter values determined in the application at runtime, use these values to do a 1st run of the report without prompting for parameters, then allow a user to subsequently prompt for parameters and re-run.

3. We don't have starting parameter values, prompt to the user before the report is ever run.

We just can't get it working right for all 3.  We are also dealing with reports that have some very complex parameter types.  Documentation is scarce, message boards are no longer a help, it probably requires advanced knowledge that would not be of any use to us once the project is done.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

For the technical issue here about the parameter values not persisting in the WpfViewer, please redirect to this thread:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3666258

For the main question of how to get paid help, I was able to find this link:

http://store.businessobjects.com/store/bobjamer/en_US/pd/productID.98078100?resid=TzRbUQoBAlcAAG2dTi...

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dominic

I don't think it's that hard really and there is a ton of documentation as well as sample apps, etc. I can not recommend a consultant, perhaps one will read this and make an offer. What I can do is provide documentation, pointers, etc., that may help. But 1st things 1st:

Please provide the following info:

Version of CR - exact version please - E.g.; CR XI will not do it. (Perhaps quoting the version of the crpe32.dll you are using may be best).

Version of .NET used

Database used

Database client version used

Database connection type

Once I have the above, I will be able to provide a lot of documentation and other resources and help. Seeing you have three issues, please pick one that yo want to start working on. Oh, and remember that you can create phone incidents to get help (may be a lt cheaper than a consultant...):

Crystal Single Case Technical Support - SAP Business Objects US Online Store | SAP Online Store

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

Thanks for the reply.  Many of the issues we have been able to work out on our own without a consultant, taken a little more time than we hoped, and we are now stuck on our last issue.  We take an RPT file and load it in to a ReportDocument.  We then grab a corresponding set of parameter values from a database and set the parameters/defaults in the ReportDocument.  We then assign the ReportDocument to the viewer and all the parameter prompts then have the values we programatically set; works great.  User runs the report, all of those parameters values seem operable.  Problem is when they click Refresh in the viewer, the parameter prompting values are no longer the ones that we had earlier programatically set and was used to run for the very report we now see in the viewer, they seem to revert to the parameter values as they originally were in the RPT file.  If you have any general insigts here it would be much appreciated, I can supply version#'s and code samples if necessary.

Thanks,

Dominic.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

We are using Visual Studio 2013 Update 4; Crystal 13.0.12.1494.  Here is the problem, and we have created a simple project that demonstrates.  WPF project with 1 form with the viewer.  Load a report with an Oracle datasoure that just reads the data dictionary for a database table names.  1 report parameter to filter by table name.  In the report file, the parameter is set to find 'TABLE1'.  Right after loading the report, and before we assign it to the viewer, we need to change the parameter to 'TABLE2'.  This works okay.  The problem is then when the viewer refresh is clicked, and we prompt for new parameters, the parameter value reverts to back to the orignial from the report file 'TABLE1'.  I need it to persist the values I had programatically set, 'TABLE2'. We have reports with dozens of parameters, our .Net application has the correct initial parameter values, not the report file, and it ins't viable for us to set them to anything viable in the report file, they aren't always known until the user is in a particular part of our application.  This is a major issue for us, any help is appreciated.  Below is the codebehind from our simple c# example project.

Thanks,

Dominic.

public partial class Window1 : Window
    {
        CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument Report;

public Window1()
        {
            InitializeComponent();
            reportViewer.Owner = this;

Report = new CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument();
            Report.Load("Crystal_Test.rpt");
            Report.SetParameterValue("TABLE_NAME", "TABLE2");
            reportViewer.ViewerCore.ReuseParameterWhenRefresh = false;
            reportViewer.ViewerCore.ReportSource = Report;
        }

}

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

From the code I am not sure how the report logs on to the database(?).

When you say: change the parameter to 'TABLE2'.

are you attempting to change to a different table in the database?

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

Thank you for the reply, let me clarify.  My simple project was querying the data dictionary, words like 'TABLE' for parameter values are confusing.  The report connects to an Oracle database, that is all configured in the report file.  In more generic terms here is what happens.  The report has 1 parameter, let's call 'Parameter1' instead.  In the report file, the value for Parameter1 is 'Value1'.  So in a simple code project, I load the report file, then change the parameter value, e.g. SetParameterValue('Parameter1', 'Value2').  Then I assign the report to the viewer.  I then see that the report that is now in the viewer ran with 'Value2' for Parameter1; looks great.  I then click Refresh in the viewer, and then click 'No' to prompt for the parameters so I can change them.  This is where the problem is, the viewer then pops the parameter prompt, and the value it shows for Parameter1 is 'Value1'  !?!?!  I changed it to 'Value2' programatically, it had run with Value2; why does the prompting value revert to the rpt file?  At that first refresh prompt, I need the parameter values to keep the values I had set programatically before I handed it off to the viewer.

Let me know if the issue still is not clear, and I appreciate any help.

Dominic.