Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An existing connection was forcibly closed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm using DS 4.0 SP3.

My daily job until last thursday worked correctly, but last three days I've got below error:

ODBC data source <LPPLSQLCL0002\LPPLSQLCL0001> error message for operation <SQLFetchScroll>: <[Microsoft][SQL Server Native

Client 10.0]TCP Provider: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

This happened almost at the same time: 4am - 5am but every time in diffrent workflow.

I've checked log of the server where DS is isntalled and I haven't found any error.

I've checked with administrator the log of sql server 2008 also and there was no information of error.

Do you have any idea where is the problem and what else can I check?

Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member213365
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Is it possible that there is a database backup running?

On Oracle a cursor can be timed out if it runs too long.  I don't know if that can happen on SQL Server but it's something to look at.  How long has the Dataflow been running when you get the error that the connection was forcibly closed?

singcheong
Explorer
0 Kudos

A possible cause is different MS SQL Server server version and native client version.  Did you install the correct MS SQL Server native client driver?  In other word, if the Datasource is MS SQL Server 2008R2, then you need to install MS SQL Server 2008R2 native client driver.

If you have multiple Datasources connecting to several version of MS SQL Server, then you need to install several MS SQL Server client native driver

In your error message, "SQL Server Native Client 10.0" means your database server is MS SQL Server 2008 (not 2008 R2).  Is this correct?

Following is what I remember about the native client version for 3 different MS SQL Server:

MS SQL Server 2008 - ver 10.0

MS SQL Server 2008R2 - ver 10.5

MS SQL Server 2012 - ver 11.0

You need all of them if your have several Datasources connecting to all of these databases.  This is similar to Oracle database driver as well, and don't expect SAP provides all the DB drivers for you.  Each driver version is 0.2 GB to 2 GB in size, so if a vendor provide the complete DB driver, the DB driver media will be taking several DVD or BluRay disks

former_member213365
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I can't speak to the SQL Server drivers, but I think you're wrong about the Oracle drivers.  I have a 64 bit Oracle 11g driver installed on Windows 7 (64 bit) that connects just fine to Oracle 10g (32 bit) and 12c (64 bit).  So I do not need the 10g driver installed to talk to an 10g Oracle instance.

singcheong
Explorer
0 Kudos

Jim is almost correct regarding Oracle database driver that higher version can connects to older database version, but there is a catch.

Oracle 12c client driver does support Oracle 10.2 onward, but there is always questions of

1. Inter-version compatibility bug that Oracle not tested -> new unknown bug

2. Inter-version compatibility bug that Oracle tested -> known bug

3. Ongoing support from Oracle in providing a patch for bug on Oracle 12c driver connecting to older Oracle version

Due to various software logistically, licensing, support reasons, I recommend people to use the same Oracle or MS SQL Server client version and don't rely on "higher version is compatible with older version" marketing talk.

In any forum support, members typically doesn't tell anything about specific database/OS patch that they installed, which, for example Oracle, will introduce new bug that could cause some new problems, such as failure in CLOB/BLOB column larger with 128KB extend size in Oracle RAC, or unexpected descending order sorting with outer join and hint.  In SAP forum, my strategy will be to minimize the scope and stay focus in SAP product.  If some members would like to test 100% compatibility of MS SQL Server or Oracle native client driver, they are free to do that themselves once they resolve the immediate problem

former_member208363
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Did you verify data source connections are working fine by viewing data by right click.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I checked source and target and everythink works correctly.

In my opinion something caused breaking connection, but I dodn't know how can I find it

regards

former_member208363
Active Participant
0 Kudos

1) Seems you are using Database Type as ODBC connection.

Try with Database Type: SQL Server 2008

2) If you want to use ODBC, select SQL Server Driver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, I'm using ODBC and my database is SQL Server 2008

To connect Repositoty I use ODBC driver: ODBC Server  Native Client 10

And the problem still exists

Regards

former_member208363
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rad Nap,

Please create the connection as shown in screen and let me know.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I created and still getting this error (sometimes I got samtimes not)

Regards