cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ERP (UAP) term projects for undergraduate students?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am teaching courses using SAP ERP . I need suggestions on what project can be assigned to the students for every semester ?any ideas or project done by any students who are studying SAP ERP in their undergrad programa

Thanks

Nadia Siddiqui

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

It depends a lot on the focus of assessment (research or hands on).  A simple task is to place students in groups of 2.  One student acts as a customer and the other a vendor.  The customer needs to start the procurement process and then sends a PO to the vendor.  The vendor completes the sales process and invoice the customer who the process the payment.

Each student provides a print out of relevant documents for the processes.  Each document would have the student's unique id for customer vendor, material etc.  You can make the exercise as difficult as required. ie split deliveries, pricing etc.  This exercise can be based on GBI data.

Good luck

Paul Hawking

SAP Academic Director

Victoria University

Australia

SAP Mentor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Paul,

This is an excellent suggestion.  If i want to conduct research based on SAP ERP (GBI) what would it be ? I want to conduct few researches in this course and i need help in getting research ideas?

Help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Nadia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nadia

If you email me I will provide you a large number of research assignment questions

Good luck

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nadia

If you email me I will provide you a large number of research assignment questions

Good luck

Paul

SMagal
Participant
0 Kudos

Having students buy and sell from/to each other is a very nice project.  It helps them understand roles and the importance of communicating the right information to the right person.

I have done this with other universities occasionally. Our students buy some thing from a student (or group) at another university - they go through the process of requisition to payment.  The generate the needed documents (PO, invoice, etc.) in the SAP ERP system and then send (email) it to their partners.  Then the roles are reversed.  

It seems very simple, but be prepared for a lot of issues!  But it is definitely a learning experience.  Keep it simple.

Simha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing nice ideas. I need more help on how can i create new roles  to restrict access of students. We are using SAP ERP, GBI Case study?

Thanks

Nadia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for cooperation.  I would really appreciate, if you could share research ideas at your earliest. I want my students to work on research papaers.

My email address is: nsiddiqui@pscw.psu.edu.sa

Regards

Nadia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mr. Simha

Thanks for this idea and i am planning to execute this as term project this time. Can you share more details with me ?

If that is possible, then i have few questions on how did you execute this as an project?

How did you evaluate each student as project normally have 15 - 20% weight age for each student ?

How much time did you provide to your students?

I would really appreciate your response.

Thanks

Nadia Siddiqui

SMagal
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Nadia,

Attached is a document that describes the project where my students interacted with students from UBB, Chile.  Each student group buys and sells trading goods from the other school's group.  It seems very straightforward.  However, you will be surprised by the number of problems / issues that are encountered.  Please adapt this to your needs.  I would love to get your feedback.

If you (or anyone else) is interested in such a project with our students, let me know.

With regard to you question about evaluation: I would keep it very simple the first time.  Make it more of an extra credit or use it as one of several components of a project.  I would not give 15-20% the first time!  Maybe after you are very comfortable with the project and have adapted it to your environment.

PS:  the system will not allow me to attach a word document. So I will send you a dropbox invite.  If anyone else would like this file, please let me know.

Thanks,

Simha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Simha,  Would love a copy of the assignment.  You can send it to me at fied0001@umn.edu.

Many thanks.

Corrie

SMagal
Participant
0 Kudos

sent you an invite.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Mr.Simha

I really appreciate. I look forward for such effective knowledge exchange in future. I might need more guidelines in using other SAP technologies.

Regards

Nadia

0 Kudos

Hi Simha,

I'm interested in understanding how this kind of inter-school projects can be executed.  Wouldn't it take a long time to complete?

Please share the document with me at jamesten@ntu.edu.sg

Thanks a lot.

Regards

James Ten

Nanyang Business School

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mr. Simha,

We have been teaching GBI materials for some year now and would be interested in the project material you are discussing here.

Could you send it to my email : samadz@ucj.edu.sa

Sincerely,

Zakiya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Simha,

I would also greatly appreciate if you would share a dropbox link to the assignment.

Cheers,

Pete Lukszys

University Wisconsin-Madison School of Business

peter.lukszys@wisc.edu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simha,

if still available would love to get copies of assignments. Sound like a great idea.

Thank you in advance.

kc_tran
0 Kudos

Hi Simha,

Please send me the invite to the project.

I am interested to use it in my classes. Thank you.

K.C.

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

bjoern_jaeger
0 Kudos

Hi Nadia,

We have used GBI for import and export operations as an international collaboration between students at two universities. It is similar to the excellent exercises of using two student groups as Simha suggests. Our setup does not require SAP, although it is an advantage. See the paper Bridging the knowing-doing gap in global supply chain education in CAIS

http://aisel.aisnet.org/cais/vol36/iss1/21

Please contact me if you want more info or want to test it.

- Bjorn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Nadia,

At the Universidad Paraguayo Alemana we started with a course on Design Thinking, using existing companies as case studies. Once defined the information flows and information needs we used the cases to translate into SAP ERP solutions.

cheers

Dr. Stijn van der Krogt

Dean

Faculty of Business Administration

Universidad Paraguayo Alemana

Paraguay

0 Kudos

I found something. This might will help you. Check out scenario section.

0 Kudos

We are using GBI to teach a course, where an important learning objective is to acquire ERP knowledge and apply it to business scenarios.  Hence we encourage students to explore SAP functions and features beyond what they've learned from the GBI exercises and case studies.  We use projects to spur students to do so, giving them a business problem to solve and carefully guiding them (with online discussion forum) in the search for relevant SAP knowledge.

Some of the projects we have come up with include:

(1)  An accounting document for rental expense (similar posting items) needs to be posted each month for the next 24 months.  Suggest ways to help the user who is responsible for posting it.

(2)  A discount promised to a customer has been omitted in a sales order.  Goods have been delivered and invoice sent.  Customer pays an amount = amount billed minus the promised discount.  Suggest how to deal with it and how to prevent such omission in future.

(3)  GBI's auditor has recommended using SAP ERP to handle purchasing of non-inventory items (currently purchased using manual POs by departments who need them), but Purchasing Department is resisting it, arguing that these are non-critical items which do not justify shifting the workload to Purchasing Department.  Make your recommendations.

The problem with projects like this is that students can go all over the place and waste a lot of time getting lost.  But we see that as part of the learning experience which simulates the real-world experience they will get after leaving school.  The online forum is therefore an important tool for us to monitor their thoughts and progress, and for them to seek help and guidance from faculty when needed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nadia,

I took an SAP ERP class my senior year of undergrad. We ran simulations through a dashboard that sat on top of an SAP System known as ERPSIM Lab. There was some configuration, with mostly simulations run as an end user. There was manufacturing, logistics etc, through HEC Montreal. I have pasted the link below to their website. It was a great experience working in teams against each other to be the most profitable "company".

https://erpsim.hec.ca/

SMagal
Participant
0 Kudos

I agree.  ERPsim is a great learning tool.  Most definitely recommend it.  There are several levels of the game:  a simple distribution (buy/sell) game that can be completed in 3-4 hours to very sophisticated manufacturing/logistics games that take 8 - 12 hours.

Simha

0 Kudos

Hey Nadia,

In our college, we are studying ERP subject but not SAP ERP. We used work in HTML,PHP,CSS, and JQuery for Practical ours. For end of semster project our professor assign three member of group and we had to design and work which functional module(HR,CRM,FI,CO) we like. At the end we have presentation of project as well as Case Study of ERP(Which Company using SAP and How? Just short brief). I chosen HR and for Case Study I choose German Football Team 2014. I hope this might be help you.

Thanks,

Darshan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Darshan