Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert 'Period' Relative and Absolute

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I can't seem to get over these esoteric fields and labels with just no help

What does this 'Period" of Alerts Relative Time Interval mean in the attached screen shot, when the periods in question are integral to the macro iterations ?

Secondly even if it has to (mean something), what is the meaning of one global period and that too for half a dozen alerts in my alert profile ?. How does that help if I have 5 alerts, each with different iterations?

Am I expected to memorize those iterations in each of my macro so that I thoughtfully put a value in this field called 'months' in the screen below ? This sounds very unSAPply.

To make things worse it also has a help that says "Time in Months". It can make sense only to the original developer I guess.

Please help me understand.

Help Documentation of Relative Time Interval in Greek.

The time interval, specified as selection criterion, defines the time horizon within which the selected alerts are valid

What does the word Valid mean ?

Use

Defines the selection  time horizon relative to the current date and time by specifying the length of the horizon and the start date of the horizon as offset.

What and where is the Start Date of Horizon ? What does relative to current date means - Left of current date or Right of current date ?. What is Offset. How does that help ?

Regards

BS

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Borat,

Yep, you right! Not very easy to understand the SAP help!

What I understand is that the Relative start/end date will consider the horizon dynamically. The start/end time of the horizon will be updated based on the current day.  

On the other hand the Absolute will consider a fix horizon that will not change in time.

Offset is used when you want to skip an interval time.

Hope that can help you!

Thanks.

Regards, Marius     

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Marius

Very good explanation. Yes Offset it to skip SOMETHING.

Can you give an example /

Assume this

2 macros in the profile

Macro 1: 3 steps

Step 1: Aug to Dec - delete alerts

Step 2: Sep to Nov - do some calc

Step 3: Nov to Nov - generate Alert

Macro 2 - 3 steps

Step 1: April to Aug - Delete alerts

Step 2: Jan to Nov - do some calc

Step 3: Aug to April - generate Alert

and this all rolling every month

Now I go to the Alert Monitor to VIEW the alerts for Aug to April next year. today is November.

What value should I use in Time is Months ?

What value should I use in offset ? or should I ?

Thanks

BS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ha, ha this is a good research subject for an PhD degree!

In my opinion you should use the SNP or PPDS time bucket (it depends at which level you are looking for alerts).

If your horizon takes two different years in considerations you should not use offset because you can't control the time interval by year.

Thanks.

Regards, Marius 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Precisely.

It is a topic for high school riddles, disguised as PhD level talk. SAP is a master at this disguise. I do not blame the developers though. They can never be evil. This looks like the work of marketeers@SAP 🙂 who perhaps venally assume the entire world is a bunch of retards.

I am compiling such screen shots for exhibition in a fully self-funded museum of software torture. You are welcome to contribute. Thankfully there is no patent claimed by SAP on this relative period thingie 🙂 My source is USPTO.

Thanks

BS

Answers (0)