cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an external SVN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In the CMC , we are trying to set VisualSVN as version management tool , without success.

Do you know if it is possible to use another svn that Subversion or ClearCase installed by default ?

My environment : SAP BO 4.1 SP4 / Windows Server 2008 R2

Best regards,

Sophie

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you could tell us what the problem is we might be able to help. As far as I can tell VisualSVN Server is just a packaged installer and includes tools for managing Subversion. As you mentioned it includes svn 1.8.

I don't think there's a problem with that. Looking at Apache's SVN documentation about compatibility between versions...

"Older clients and servers interoperate transparently with 1.8 servers and clients. However, some of the new 1.8 features may not be available unless both client and server are the latest version. There are also cases where a new feature will work but will run less efficiently if the client is new and the server old."

So that would mean that the version of the client included with BIP (1.6.2 in 4.1 SP04) _should_ be compatible with your 1.8 server.

That said, please realize what version management and svn are really used for on the platform.

They are really only used to version objects and jobs in such a way that you can use a life cycle approach and it's not intended to be used like you do with a software development platform.

You cannot branch, tag or merge objects. You are very limited in what you can do.

So - if you want some help in getting BIP Version Management and your VisualSVN working - we at least need to know what errors you're getting.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your help, we were able to set the external svn using the https protocol.

This is not possible with the HTTP protocol, a persistent bug.

Best Regards,

Sophie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, and is that a problem or are you happy with the HTTPS protocol? Also, is the bug on VisualSVN or BIP's svn?

If you want to check - try the following.

Go to the subversion directory in the command line on your BIP server and type

svn --version

You should see "The following repository access (RA) modules are available:"

If you can paste the output. 

If you're happy leaving things as they are, then please mark this thread as solved.

Thanks.

Patrick

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think Subversion and Clearcase are the only 2 supported.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We try to parameterize VisualSVN Server => Includes Apache Subversion 1.8.10 command line tools