cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR 2013 freezes in databases-connections

Former Member
0 Kudos

After upgrading from CR 2010 naar 2013 the program freezes all the time when trying to open the tab connections/kopppelingen' under 'database-expert'. The rest works fine, but I cannot make reports or manage connections of more than one table.

The ODBC-connects with SQL-Server 2012 (SQL Server Native Client 10.0).

I tried:

- logging in as administrator and do the same thing to exclude read/write permissions.

- create a new connection using SQL Server Native Client

- connecting via OLE DB using SQL Server Native Client 10.0 ánd 11.0

Who can help me? Thanks!

Allard Bon

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Allard,

Do you mean CR for Visual Studio 2010 or is this a typo and you meant CR 2011?

Make sure you are logged in as local PC Administrator and do a Repair install.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Thanks for your answer.

The version is Crystal Reports Developer 2013 (v.14), service pack 4

I did a complete reinstall as an administrator but the problems persisted.

I tried all the suggestions mentioned in other threads.

The problem occurs not only with ODBC but also with Excel-connection.

Allard

0 Kudos

Hi Allard,

Thanks for confirming. I have never heard of this ever happening, taking time in the DB wizard yes bit not being able to add more than one table.

Did you check with the DBA to see if your account has access to more than one table? CR fully supports DB security so if that user does not have access to any other table then CR will not be able to see any. Not sure why it's taking so long to report back though.

Try setting up a new user on the DB and give it access to a few tables, requires Read/Write so it can create temp tables.

Try search for a KBA on how to enable CRLogger, it may give you more info on why it's hanging... It may not be stuck, how long have to waited? Could be it just takes a long time to return all of the databases you have access to.

You can try filtering also on the Connection Options...

Don

0 Kudos

Oh, and just thought of another option that may be the cause.

Usual warning about editing the registry...

Go to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SAP BusinessObjects\Suite XI 4.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions

DoAutoSmartLinking and change the value to No

Ass soon as you add another table CR will attempt to link every field to every field...

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don, thanks for your extensive answers. I wil certainly try the registry-modification. Maybe my comment was a bit cryptic but what I meant by 'one table' is, that because I cannot open the connections-tab, I only can add one table. When you add two, the connection tab opens and the application freezes. I have a strong feeling that it is a security-issue, because the login uses SQL-Server authentication. I tried to reach the same database in another clean configuration with Windows-authentication and everything worked fine.

Maybe this is of help. In the meanwhile I will try to raise the error with CRlogger active.

Have a nice day, Allard

0 Kudos

Hi Allard,

I suggest you log into the PC as a local PC Administrator and do a repair install of CR and possibly the Db client software. Seems like something is messed up with the install.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

I did uninstall and install CR completely two times. The error persists.

When I click on 'Koppelingen' (Connections), the screen freezes and I get this message:

It makes no difference which database-connection I create or choose...

Thanks for your help,

Allard.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

I did a repair of the CR installation but it didn't work out. Maybe the problem has to do with the fact that older versions were installed on my computer once (although I removed them with Windows Uninstaller).

I ran dependency walker on CRDB_ADO.DLL and CRDB_DAO.DLL and it showed that some files are missing in the Crystal Reports WIN32_x86 directory. (C:\Program Files\SAP Business Objects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\Win32_x86)

The files are: MSVCR80.DLL, IESHMS.DLL, DCOMP.DLL and API-MS-WIN-CORE etc...

Could this be the cause of the problem?

Thanks, Allard

0 Kudos

Hi Allard,

None of those files belong to CR, I think that uninstaller you used also remove all dependencies CR uses.

MSVCR80.DLL gets installed with the Visual Studio 2005 C++ Security runtime package, you can download it from MS.

See if that resolves the issue

The other ones I'm not sure where they get installed from or who they belong to.

But could be they are Framework dependencies, make sure you have all of those up to date also.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Well, the system administrator gave no permission to fuzzle around in the registry and the DLLs in the Windows directories. So he made a complete new Windows setup on a new workstation. Everything new installed. And now CR works fine. We will never know what the cause was. But I can work again. Thanks for your answers.

Have a nice day.

Discussion closed.

Answers (0)