Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic threshold setting-Conditional Formatting in Charts

former_member184839
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I understand there is no dynamic limit setting in SAP Design Studio 1.3 Version. Like we have Variables entering in the exception , while setting the threshold values in Bex.

The threshold values in the rules of conditional formatting(viz. greater than, lesser than or equal to, limit) , the threshold values needs to hard coded.  I just was wondering if there is any alternate way to do it. Some some alternate to achieve the same requirement, which has the Bar chart showing the details along x axis, along with the data labels.

I had tried with the cross tab too but, the horizontal columns/progress bars are not coming up. Please give suggestion on enhancement of the techniques here to achieve the requirement or a different solution altogether to achieve the same.

Quick replies appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

BR,

Sara

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sara  - I am not following this; we have and I have the BEx Query Designer open.

What are you trying to achieve?  Perhaps a screen shot may better explain?

former_member184839
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy,

Thanks for the instant reply. I want some thing like the below screen shot, which also is selectable and the series colours are defined with the dynamic threshold values (unlike in the second screen shot the threshold values are hard coded)

All the things am able to achieve except for the dynamic threshold setting if I go for chart, and if I try to achieve the same through the the crosstab, which gives me a provision of dynamic colouring I miss the progress bars/bars(as in column chart).

BR,

Sara

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sara - thank you for the screen shots and explanation - it helps me understand it better

The only suggestion (and I haven't tried this) is to take a look at one of Karol's SDK posts - this one:

So you want to change the threshold based on a slider?  I think Karol's SDK might get you closer to what you are trying to achieve.

former_member184839
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy,

Thanks a lot again for the quick reply. I have gone through the link, but unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem.

Slider is not required here. I basically need a bar chart on which conditional formatting can be applied dynamically. The one available right now SAP DS charts is static (threshold values need to be hard coded, as highlighted in the screenshot above , value 40,000, whereas I want it through a variable).

Please let me know if I need to be more clear on this.

I would also like to know if there is any road map on the solution for this particular issue in the forthcoming release, scheduled on 30, Nov, 2014 SAP DS 1.4 version.

BR,

Sara

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sara - now I understand - you want to pass a variable into the conditional formatting

You can check the Design Studio Roadmap here https://websmp203.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000390622012D.pdf but I don't see this spelled out or mentioned.

I don't know if this could be accomplished by SDK since I haven't developed an SDK for Design Studio

Another alternative is to add this as a suggestion to Idea Place at ideas.sap.com - I hadn't considered doing what you are suggesting, but it is interesting.

former_member184839
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Tammy !

I ll suggest it there in the Idea Place.

Since it is urgent requirement I still am looking for, and trying to achieve an alternate solution to this probably through a cross tab incorporating a progress bar/Icon along side.

If anyone could give me some input on this, it would be appreciable.

One close solution I found now was (still reading through and working on, in a hope it serves the requirement)

BR,

Sara

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sara,

Would it help if I took that SDK Component you are looking at, and adapted it to display as a bar chart with these conditional thresholds being similarly controllable in BIAL as they are in my KPI Tile set component?

In your first illustration where you list out 'Engineering', 'Logistics', and 'Purchasing', are the formatting criteria for each of these independent or the same?  Also, how is the x-axis max defined?  Round number based on all values or should this be controllable as well?

former_member184839
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I had gone through your blog. It indeed is splendid. But unfortunately I could only find comparable chart and not bar charts.

If you could manipulate the one to create another similar one having bar chart, that would be great. As the tool itself in demand, the SDKs would be useful for many.

Yesterday, I had found a temporary solution for it, which is 90% close to what is needed, soon would share the idea here. I would appreciate if you could manipulated the available SDK to the selectable bar chart with dynamic alerting.

Formatting criteria in my scenario is the same. Round number if controllable would be good but not an acute need as of now. X- axis max can be auto adjustable/definable.

Appreciate your timely help.

BR,

Sara

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Really rough cut of a conceptual version of what I'm thinking.

I am using the SDK and its included D3 visualization library to do this, built on some of same concepts in my KPI Tileset component.

If you (or others) think it's a good idea, I'll go ahead and finish building this one out:

Sneak peak, click image for animation.

http://mikehowles.com/images/d3%20early.gif

former_member184839
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Its quite close to what we need, but is there any way we can control the width of the bar Chart. And where can I find the above mentioned SDK link? IT would be great if you could provide that.

Colouring with Dynamic Thresholds as of now, the solution to it was found using the existing chart component with few tweaks in the back end.

But there further feature which are required.

Right now the need is of one component which has the following additional features :

1. Existing Bar chart, Colouring with Dynamic Thresholds

2. Colouring with Dynamic Thresholds

3. Fixable bar widths (fixing which will make it all the bar inside the chart of same size)

The requirements can be achieved but with the existing components in Design studio, provided we have:

1. The existing chart having inbuilt scroll bar and an option to fix bar size

(or)

2. The existing cross tab having progress bar inside it.

(or)

3. SDK Micro charts with drill down

Could you please tell if these are possible things to achieve in an SDK. Are there any similar ones available already ?

BR,

Sara

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'll try to share a usable general-purposed version of something that might fit your requirements before I go on holiday later this week.  Here's an updated shot of what I had time to play with today:

jmsrpp
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Looking good Mike ... it would be nice if the Design Studio folks added a method to setConditionalFormatting on the fly. It takes a JSON array right now so it should be feasible. In the absence of that this seems to be a perfect fit for the requirement!

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks

This one's really started taking a life of its own.  Should end up being useful something I hope LOL.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member184839
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike ,

Where can I get this general version of progress bar chart SDK code. In GitHub , I got this progress bar chart bundled with other components . But i need this as separate zip file . Would it be possible ? 

Thanks,

Praveen