cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Job Costing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Kindly give me the approach on Project job costing in Project management. I have to create the product called project job costing which can be plugged in to the Project management module so that customer can get the cost wise report. Also please provide me the relevant document if possible.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It look like you are trying to build an individual component of your own similar to job costing in SAP and link it to your existing system.

Please correct me if I'm wrong ? If your answer is Yes then you are looking for a solution design how to create and map this with the existing system.

Regard's

Syed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Syed,

Yes you are correct. I am looking out for a solution design as what should be my proper approach to link this product to existing Project management module. Can you please help me to prepare an approach note on that?

thank you

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

In SAP PS you have different options available to do costing for different projects. Can you explain your process in detail as to what type of cost estimate you are looking at?

Regards

Sammar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sammar,

With PJC you can:

• Keep track of committed against actual costs with Purchase Order integration.

• Set up, track, and maintain jobs at multiple levels of detail.

• Quickly assign staff, material, subcontractors, equipment, miscellaneous items, and overheads to each project within each job.

• Track and bill inventory items by contract, project, or category as well as by cost types.

• Track and bill equipment usage by contract, project, or category.

• Empower employees to easily manage their own time and billing records using an Internet browser anywhere.

• Manage and track time spent by people on various projects.

• Mix and match accounting methods to fit any job or project from very complex to very simple.

• Automatically generate invoices based on the transactions that are due to be billed.

• Easily review contract or project changes and instantly update revenue and cost estimates.

PJC Module integrates seamlessly with other key modules like Purchase Order, Accounts Receivable and General Ledger. This will insure that you can control your job revenue and cost with PJC more effectively and efficiently.

In nut sell you can keep your eye on the bottom line with extensive, robust analytical capabilities. With Project and Job Costing, you can track retention, calculate overhead, gauge profitability, and access numerous analytical reports. At the micro-level, you’ll be able to spot errors, inconsistencies, or overages before you’ve sent the final bill. And at the macro-level, you’ll be able to understand what kinds of jobs tend to earn you the highest margin, which kinds of jobs are draining your resources, and why.

Thanks.

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sorry I am bit confused here.. if PJC is able to do all of what you have mentioned then what is that you are looking to achieve in PS?

Are you planning to replicate the same functionality in PS and need ideas on how to do it?

If that's the case then PS can help you in many of the things which you have mentioned above, but to achieve the whole stuff. you need integration of Finance, MM, HR and SD Modules.

On a very high level you can create a Project in SAP PS, with WBS elements and do project planning using manual planning or detail planning depending upon your project complexity. Maintain project timelines and resources

The same wbs elements can be  used for doing budgeting and other execution services, like booking employee timesheets, Purchase Orders, Sales Order etc.

This allows you to monitor the Plan vs actual vc Budgeted values.

there is no auto generation of invoices to customers but you can attach milestones to WBS which can trigger billing to customers.

hope I am making some sense..

Regards

Sammar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sammar,

Actually I am in to a different ERP that is called Sage X3 and here we have almost same functionality like SAP but here we have a module called Project Management but its not yet integrated with costing i.e we can not calculate budgeting and cost related transaction through PM. So I want to know that if i create a product called Project Job Costing which will have all elements related to costing then how will it work if integrated with PM? What parameters should i look in to to integrate it with all important modules like MM, HR, SD, FI etc. Can u pls provide me any relevant doc. for the same?

Thank You.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sammar,

Could u pls help me to get this problem resolved,

Thanks

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. You need to integrate FI, MM,PP, SD  and PS areas to start with. I am not sure how flexible it is in Sage X3 to link these areas together.

To begin with you need to do the following:

1. check the architecture of sage erp and see how easy or difficult it is to integrate the above mentioned areas.

2. How is the business doing its work in present scenario.

3. how easy or difficult it is to make the changes to sage erp to accommodate the requirements mentioned by you in your previous thread.

I am sorry there is no single document available which can provide you with details on how to implement the whole solution.

Regards

Sammar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sammar,

Thanks fro your reply, sage erp is similar to sap whn it comes to functionality. the only difference is that it has some limitations and designed to support SMEs only. I am new to this but have idea on sap. Functionality wise it works more or less like sap. Actually i have to develop a product which can calculate the job costing, automated generation of invoices, inventory updates, expense calculation etc. from FI point of view can u give ur inputs as what are the areas where i can look into for integration?

regards

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ami,

As per the requirements you have provided, this can be achieved in SAP Project System.

SAP PS links with PM for shutdown maintenance, where a maintenance order can be linked with WBS element, the cost spent will be settled to the WBS element.

MM Integration gives you the control on material planning and procurement. You can use safety stock. This included internal and external material procurement.

For labor, you can use CATS or Internal Activity time confirmation. Which can track labor availability and all these stuff.

Finally, to get all these things, you need Material Management, FI, PM integration.

In minimum, you need PS / FI integration, else you cannot calculate the cost.

Regards

Terence

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

Can u help me with FI integration as what should i look into in FI to get the proper integration with PJC? If you can help in other modules as well it would be of great help.

Thank You

Regards

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ami,

I don't understand the exact help you are requesting.

You need to discuss with SAP for developing your requirement, so you can request them or any IT companies who does SAP implementation, they will assist you on your requirement and develop the model.

SCN is a forum where you can discuss and obtain information on process / Technical issues. So we will not be able help you out.

We are basically PS Consultant, for any FI / MM / PM / SD we will require respective consultant to develop the model.

Finally, i can provide you the link of SAP modules and Process, which you can read and understand how the system is mapped and what you can request from SAP or IT company.

IDES - The SAP Model Company - SAP Library

Regards

Terence

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Terence,

I was just asking about your opinion on how it should be mapped in PS. I thought may be u wer from FI thts y i asked abt FI integration.

Regards

Amicable

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

It won't be easy to provide you the solution in this forum. what you are asking for is a complete solution design for your Product costing tool..

regards

Sammar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As i understand this, is there a way i can get help through this forum. I don't have any other resources to get help!!

Thanks