Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Out Dump in MC46

karnan_g
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody,

I'm getting a timeout dump while executing MC46 transaction for a particular material type.

It's giving 'TIME LIMIT EXCEEDED'  Error.

How to sort this error?.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

karnan_g
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks for your valuable suggestions Mr. Irfan and Mr.Jurgen.

Actually I've wrongly mentioned  it as one material type, the Abap dump is for one material. I'm sorry for that.

I've checked the material along with the functional consultant, the material has                          

only 2 entries in MB51. One with 101 Movement GR for PO with 2 quantities and                          the other is Goods Issue for 1 quantity of the movement 261.

The Current Stock for the material is 1.

The SELECTION PARAMETER for MC46 is Material No. and Plant.

Note: The Warehouse Management is active.

Please advice..

Thanks & Regards,

Karnan

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The dump shows of course just the material that was processed when the time-out time was reached.

Run this material number alone and you will see it is finished in a few seconds.

MC46 computes material documents based on the given number of days in the selection screen. No matter if a material has stock today or if you have a warehouse management module in your infrastructure.

How many entries does your MSEG table have?

How many have to be read for your selection?

After what time do you get the time out?

karnan_g
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

At first we were providing Material group( 255 Materials in it) and Plant, Period last consumption 365 days as input parameter in MC46.  Then by trial and error we found that the issue with a particular material . We processed MC46 for the other 254 materials of that Material group and the system processed in less than a minute.

But when we try with the particular material ,plant and period last consumption 365 or even lesser days we are getting the time dump.

As I told earlier there are only 2 entries in MSEG for that particular material. Kindly advise.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That is a wonderful situation to show it to SAP support.

But before you should have an ABAPer look after this, just to make sure there is no internal development done that may cause this issue.

Searching for OSS notes on MC46 and performance  brought up 9 notes that are written in the beginning of this millennium. This MC46 is a pre-historic transaction, there is no new development which could have side effects. I have not seen other program fixes after 46c release (of course you may search yourself)

Get it touch with your basic team, ask them to take a performance trace to see where the program spend its time.

former_member216541
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Jurgen for your reply. But in this case the Time dump is received only for one Material and not for any other materials.I thought there may be any issue with the material which has to be analysed. But let him go through the time out discussions as advised.

Regards,

Irfan

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What are the main reasons for a time-out?

It is certainly not the material number, it is the data-volume that needs to be read.

Further he did not say single  material, he said material type. (I have in a certain material type >2 million materials in my system)

And this process has to be finished before the border line of maximum foreground run time is exceeded. This is a parameter set by the Netweaver team. Not by an ABAPer.

MC46 is a standard transaction and not a self-made report where an ABAPer could fix his program.

The usual reason for a time-out is a wrong selection, many user select more than they need, instead of thinking while the fill the selection screen they finally just browse through the results to find the few numbers that were really needed.

Be honest, who is nowadays reading a thousand page report from the first line to the last.

If there is no way for a better selection, then the thing has to scheduled in background. But at the same time someone from Basis team should do a performance trace, and should find out how often this kind of selection is needed . Our team does this pro-active. They approach me and ask about the transaction and its functionality after they have seen that this is called often and causes performance issues. Finally they may decide if the create a better index for a faster access

Since it is a standard transaction, one could already check SAP OSS system with keyword MC46 performance to see if there are notes available. And if the situation is worse and no note is given, then they may create an incident at SAP to have SAP Support analyze

But I did not tell anything new, nothing what was not already said in those thousand other discussions.

former_member216541
Participant
0 Kudos

i think it is for one material you are getting this error. Check whether you are able to get any help in  SAP ERP - Logistics Materials Management (SAP MM)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why  sending him to MM?

just because of MC46? 

Why not to the SCN search?

because "Time Out"  has 6449 discussion in SCN already.

Do we have more than 6449 reasons for time outs?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Run the program in background.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karnan,

Check SM58(monitor RFC communication) for detailed error.

or Check in table ARFCSTATE  for detail error for that application.

Regards,

Sudeesh Soni