Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eclipse and ABAP Development Tools package

0 Kudos

I have a working set of Eclipse and ABAP development tools on my PC. I am having trouble downloading the same on to my colleagues PC due to my organization's internet policies. I decided therefore, to copy my installation, as is, to his PC. Therefore, I copied eclipse to his PC from my PC. Eclipse opened just fine. Now, I copied .metadata folder from my workspace to his workspace so that I can access ADT from his eclipse but I was not successful in getting it to work. On his PC, I cannot see ABAP projects in "New project" options; I can see several ABAP perspectives but they are not functional.

What else should I have done to make it fully functional on his PC?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amiya,

I would suggest following procedure:

Copy everything from your current (source) environment to a e.g. temp folder your collegue's (target) machine. This copy should include the complete eclipse folder with all its subfolders like plugins, p2, etc.

After that having done, start the eclipse on the target machine and to got menu File -> import -> install -> From existing installation, then browse you copied source installation.

greetings

sven

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amiya,

I would suggest following procedure:

Copy everything from your current (source) environment to a e.g. temp folder your collegue's (target) machine. This copy should include the complete eclipse folder with all its subfolders like plugins, p2, etc.

After that having done, start the eclipse on the target machine and to got menu File -> import -> install -> From existing installation, then browse you copied source installation.

greetings

sven

0 Kudos

Hi Sven,

I followed your advice but it is still connecting to the internet to download all the plug-ins.I'd like to point it to the already downloaded plug-ins. How do I do that? I am sorry, I am new to Eclipse.

Amiya

0 Kudos

Hi Amiya,

There's other ways to copy plugins between eclispe installations also like creating a zip file with the right structure of folders containing all the Archive (jars) of the plugins you want to copy and then unzip on the target machine into the eclipse dropin Folder.

I'm not aware of the very detail anymore since I used years ago for the last time, but give Google a try, I'm sure find the Details 🙂

Or try using the "P2 Installation replication" plugin. But I'm not sure about that in detail either. I could well be that you need the replication plug in also on the target machine also. then you also be lost without proper internet access.

have fun

Sven

0 Kudos

Sven,

I was finally able to make it work. I did the following:

1. Copied .eclipse folder which is in my user folder of the operating system (Windows 7) to my colleague's desktop.
  2. Opened Eclipse on his desktop.
  3. Used option File>Import>Install>Install from existing installation and pointed the prompt to org.eclipse.platform_4.4.1_867647348_win32_win32_x86_64 folder which resides in .eclipse folder
  4. It presented me with a list of software components, I checked them all and imported them.
  5. Restarted Eclipse

..within seconds, I was up and running

Thanks for your advice. Really appreciate it.

Amiya