cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do DB2 archive logs will be written and will be add to database?

Former Member
0 Kudos

If I'm running a client export/import and forgot to set the LOGARCHMETH1 to OFF, will all the logs be written in database and will lead to large db size?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

maria_shen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Chona Nabasca,

It may result in transaction log full issue.

Depending on the parameter settings (log file size, primary log, secondary log), generally there will be a maximum size of the log space usage, unless the logsecond is set to -1.

Kind regards

Maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maria Shen,

Thank you for your quick response.

Yes, disk for archive logs will be full. But how about on the database side, is there an SAP table that saves these logs?

maria_shen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Chona Nabasca,

I am afraid we are talking about different concept in terms of log. As you may know, what I said before is the transaction log on the database level. No SAP table will save DB transaction log. What you mentioned above seems to relate to the application log files which specific to client copy.

Kind regards
Maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

However, assuming both LOGARCHMETH1 and LOGARCHMETH2 are set off (which is presumably what the original poster meant), then after database restart DB2 will be using circular logging.  Provided no transaction is so large/slow as to exhaust the primary and secondary logs then the log should not run out, since DB2 will reuse the older logs in a circular fashion.

In fact, unless you use infinite logging (which is risky unless very carefully monitored) then you have the same limits with archive logging.

Obviously with circular logging you sacrifice point-in-time recovery, that's the trade off.

Regards, Jeremy

Answers (0)