cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing SAP BI 4.1 SP04 on a Multi-Node setup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all. We are planning to install BI 4.1 SP04 on a 5 node(server) setup with Web Server and application server on two nodes and processing servers distributed on other 3 nodes. We have performed Sizing according to SAP BI sizing guide and configured servers with required CPU CORES and Memory per server. Now the question I have is on actual installation. I read few documents and installation guides and still left with so many questions and I'm hoping someone here can explain it in  better and easier way for this type of installation.

1) Since web tier (TOMCAT 7, bundled with BI 4.1 SP04)is on separate server and CMS is on separate server, I have questions on how to configure these two and tie them up

2) since I'm using TOMCAT 7 bundled from SAP, do I need to use WDeploy to deploy WAR files?

3) If I want to split Static and Dynamic Contents for WEB SERVER, can I do that after installing the BI server and then revisit the configuration for splitting WEB SERVER?

4) if I want to provide a custom URL (change server name to something like "http://MyCompany41TEST/BO/BI" ) what all should I change

And any help on providing a clear cut document for installation, would be much helpful.

Please do not hesitate to hit me with any questions you may have regarding my problem.

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kenny,

Follow the steps below.

1. Open a firewall port between web tier servers and
    processing tier servers
  2. Assign host file entry on both the servers and check
    whether it is talking each other or not using ping command.
  3. Install bundled tomcat server on web tier servers
  4. Install BOE on processing tier servers and cluster the
    CMS
  5. Assign static port for all the BO services and make sure
    you can telnet the port from web tier servers
  6. Once done the installation, try to customize the properties
    file in web tier server (platformservice ,BI Launchpad, CMC properties )

Platform service properties

cms.clusters=clustername:portnumber (@testserver:6400)

cms.clusters.clustername=node1:6400,node2,node3

CMC Application properties

cms.default=clustername:6400

BI Launchpad properties

cms.default=clustername:6400

7.Check whether you able to access the CMC from Web tier URL

( http:webservername:8080/BOE/BI)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for your immediate reply. These steps you mentioned above really helps me get going. I'll go through and install BI over the weekend.

Also, for my other questions,

I do not need to use WDeploy for any web server deployment files as TOMCAT is bundled in the BI package. is my assumption correct?

Thank you

Kenny

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182521
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To answer your questions

1. You dont really need to worry about this as you are going to install web tier as an expand installation of an existing CMS/CMS cluster.

2. BOE web applications will be deployed during installation (Based on your option). You may required to redeploy them only when you have any issue web application deployment.

3. Yes. you can if you are going to use Apache as a web server.refer the complete guide here  http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/10a830e3-2064-3110-7ab6-eb080b180...

4. You need to configure reverse proxy for this.

Finally the right place for you to reference is here. Just follow this you will get all the steps you need.

BIP on Windows with Mobile and Explorer Pattern Book - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN...

Thanks

Mani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you. I'll follow through these steps and see how far I can  go :-). But, I am more confident after these two responses than before , for sure.

Thank you, I'll update you all with my installation status.

Kenny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry! it took me a while to update this thread but , it was thanksgiving so..couldn't concentrate on work at all 🙂 

I have installed SAP BO 4.1 on multi-node architecture last week and it configured Web Server and CMS and all other nodes by default and everything is working fine. So far so good.

I have one question which is baffling me all this time. I have Connection Servers (32 bit and 64 bit) on Management Tier (including CMS) . I have installed Oracle Client and added TNSNames.ora file on this server. Does this work or do I need to create it on all the nodes and place TNSNames.ora file on all the nodes?

I was thinking Webi Report talks to connection server on Management Tier , so having TNSNames on one node should be good for all the reports. Please throw some light on this..

Thank you for all your help.

Kenny

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You don't need to install oracle client on all the modes, if those nodes does not have connection server or CMS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok. Great! I'll just go with one node Oracle client installation and check what happens..

Thank you all for your great Support. it helps many Administrators (novice) like me , a lot

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just an Update. I have installed BO 4.1 with the following architecture.

Machine 1: Web Server (Tomcat )

Machine 2: Management Tier=> CMS,FRS,Connectivity Server(s),Event Server

Machine 3: Processing Tier I=> Some of the APS servers

Machine 4: Processing Tier II =>Webi Processing Server,DSL Bridge

I have installed Oracle Client on all the servers (excluding Web Server) but put TNSNames.ora file only on Machine 2 (Management Tier).

With this architecture, when I tried to run some WEBi Reports, I was getting "Oracle : TNS No Listener" Error. I made sure I could login to database from this server and everything was working fine except form Launchpad. So, I went ahead  and added same TNSNames on other two servers as well and restarted SIA. Now everything seems working fine (including Webi Reports). I get all the data in the reports. So, it looks like we need TNSNames on all servers , even if we have connectivity server only on one machine. it's very confusing. As per the response from Jawahar, it  seems I don't have to do that. Logically it makes sense to have it only on the machine where the Connectivity servers are hosted.

But, it's behaving differently..Did anybosy face this issue?

Thanks

Kenny

mauricio_ramrezcuevas
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Kenny,

I'm performing a very similar installation .

Machine 1: Application Tier (Tomcat )

Machine 2: Management/Intelligence Tier=> CMS,FRS,Connectivity Server(s),Event Server

Machine 3: Processing Tier I=> WebI / Dashboard / APS servers

Machine 4: CMS DB (db2)

I've installed DB2 client only in Machine 2, based on your comments may be I need to install it in Machine 3 too.

Did you find the answer to your question?

So far, everything is well, I just have an issue with AdaptiveProcessingServer(running with errors) in Machine 3. Do you have an idea about restrictions on separating services?.

Thank you

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have to install Oracle Client on all the machines I am having Webi intelligence servers on. It seemeed like it was working for a while but you never know when it'll look for DB Client on that node, so better have it on all machines :-).

Regarding your other questions about splitting (separating) services, there is no restriction on how you separate or what you put in each APS. if you are getting status as "Running with Errors" , right click and check the properties on that particular APS, one of the services will have warning sign saying "unable to start" or "errors starting this service" type of message (forgot what it says exactly). Remove this service from the list and separate it out to a differrent APS.

Hope that will help

Thanks

Kenny

mauricio_ramrezcuevas
Participant
0 Kudos

Ok Kenny,

Thank you for your feedback, I'm aware about db client now.

Regarding the issue with APS, I'll follow your suggestions and the resolutions into SAP Note 1941985 - Adaptive Processing Server running with errors in BI 4.0/4.1

Thank you very much,

Regards