Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SE11 Technical settings

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We upgraded our ECC system to EHP7 For 6.0 and  MSSQL DB to 2012. After upgrade I see a new tab 'DB-Specific Properties'

in the technical settings in SE11.

Its set to Column Store for most of tables. It this option correct? or do we need to change it to Row Store? The reason I

am bringing this discussion is because we have noticed our batch jobs are now taking more time. Not sure if this is the

culprit? Please share your thoughts if you have any information about this tab and what is right option to choose for

better MSSQL 2012 performance . Thank you!

12 REPLIES 12

former_member191761
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi shammi,

I think this question is more related to SAP HANA ABAP. I think it would be helpful to you if posted in ABAP HANA forum.

thanks

Sri

0 Kudos

OK thanks I will move it to HANA forums. Only reason I posted here is because we are not using HANA Db.

0 Kudos

I would definitely contact SAP about this since you are not on HANA this should NOT be there..

former_member201275
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It seems Column Store is the default so I think your settings are correct, so I would leave the setting as is. If you google this you can find quite a lot of info on this topic.

In my opinion this wouldn’t have an effect on your batch jobs, simply a setting which affects how HANA accesses this data.

0 Kudos

He has an MSSQL database not HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

MSSQL having those options

It must be a HANA DB as many pointed it out

custodio_deoliveira
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This seems really odd. You should definitely contact SAP if this is not a HANA system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

0 Kudos

Yep, we got it.

It actually makes sense that these options are there as HANA is not the only columnar DB in the market (I think). What worries me (and most people here, I reckon) is the fact that the tables are set as columnar in a non-columnar DB. You should definitely get to talk to SAP.

0 Kudos

Hi Again,

just did some search and apparently MS-SQL is one of the DB with columnar storage. So, yes, these settings make absolute sense and yes, they also may be the cause of your problems. Unfortunately I don't know how to fix it, and my best suggestion is still the same: contact SAP.

Cheers,

Custodio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shammi,

You do not need to change the technical settings of a table. The column store is used by SAP (new technology introduced with SAP HANA) in order to provide better compression and performance, while using the table into our ABAP code.

Please leave it as it is because SAP ensures the best performance for the reports in this way.

While creating a new custom table, you can choose the option between column store and row store based on the type of data the table contains.

In case, the table contains Master & Organizational data then use Columnar store and for transnational data (since they change frequently) use row store.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Arnab

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you everyone for your valuable inputs. We raised a ticket for SAP.SAP said there is no need to change any settings and going forward they are going to hide this tab for MS-SQL server.They also confirmed this setting has no impact on performance in MS-SQL systems.

Thanks again!