cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to ASE 16 but keeping SDK 15.5?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, been looking for information regarding capability issues with using open client 15.5 with ASE 16!

i can find Interoperability matrix for 16 backwards. but nothing for 15.5 open client running ASE 16.

any help would be great thanks.

Dave

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello David,

looks like you are using the wrong SCN group.

Based on your details I would think that you don't use any SAP Application with ASE. For ASE questions for custom applications you should use: ASE Developer Center or ASE for Custom Applications.

About your question to use SDK 15.5 with an ASE 16, please check the Release Bulletin of ASE 16:

Example for Linux (http://help.sap.com/Download/Multimedia/ASE_16.0_rev02/aserblinux.pdf😞

-> 2.1 Interoperability

Supported Client Platforms for SAP ASE (page 5 and 6)

SAP® Open Client™/SAP® Open Server™ 15.7 / 16.0 and 15.5 (the 15.5 is on page 6, the client name column is empty, but this is for Open Client / Open Server)

What interoperability matrix did you found ?

With kind regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

my interpretation of the interoperability matrix was that  AP® Open Client™/SAP® Open Server™ 15.7 / 16.0 and 15.5 would work on the platform it specified.

i know it will work, but i want to find out if there is any limitations and what theses might be?

ill look in the other SCN for some info,

thanks

dawn_kim
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

I did find some documentation on ASE 16.0 under this:http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.help.ase.16.0/doc/html/titl...

I opened the pdf for the Release Bulletin SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise 16.0 for Linux and from there I searched interoperability.
According to what it said ASE 16.0 is only certified with SDK 16.0 and SDK 15.7.

I think the SDK 15.5 will work to the newer ASE. Any new feature from ASE 15.7 and ASE 16.0 will not work. So look under the New Features of the ASE documentation from 15.7 and 16.0 and the SPs/PLs you will see the list.

Ultimately this comes to testing. If something does not work you will be asked to get the most current SDK and test with that to make sure any bugs within the drivers with the newer ASE are not already fixed.

Thanks,
Dawn Kim

0 Kudos

Hello Dawn,

15.5 is listed the next page, ASE 16 will work with SDK 15.5 / 15.7 and 16. The page break is misleading.

Regards

Stefan

0 Kudos

Hello David,

like Dawn said, the new features won't be supported with 15.5. But since you use SDK 15.5 with the features only from there, then there isn't any problem using this with ASE 16. As long as you don't try to use the new ASE / SDK 16 features with your libs.

Regards

Stefan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks everyone for clearing this up for me. i did read this in the documentation but its not very clear.

the SDK will up upgrade later in the year when we do our VM upgrade from XP to windows 7 or 8. but need to get the backend done before hand. the front end applications wont be using any of the new furthers.

thanks again