Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Architecture: MDM and MDG

petr_solberg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

we have MDM Master Data Management 7.1x

A Business Demand is on the table for MDG Master Data Governance for the scenarios MDGf, MDGv, MDGm/c, MDGs.

I am seeking the answer to the following elementary basic questions:    

. What is the difference between MDM and MDG (ok I know this in principle), but....         

and therefore,               

In what scenario/situation/motivation would a company choose MDM                    

and consequently              

In what scenario/situation/motivation would a company choose MDG          

and therefore               

why the one and not the other          

or               

why to have both               

in which case               

is there a justification                    

to have both          

and if you had both               

should they be connected together                   

what are their dependencies on each other

I have been and am continuing to search everywhere to get the answers to these questions.

When I get them I will write a blog answering all of the questions above.

If anybody here can help with the answers to these questions it will be most appreciated.

POLITE REQUEST

. I have searched everything on this, and read every existing SCN thread on the topic, including where people have copy pasted answers into the SCN threads from blogs outside of SCN

. Please do not answer this thread by linking to any other thread on SCN, the answers to these questions are not on SCN

. Please only answer, if you actually know the answer and can write the answers in your own words or

. If you have a link to a document from SAP which can answer these questions

. Hearsay is not enough, I need to find SAP documented evidence containing the definitive answers to these questions

As I said, when I solve this I will blog it to the benefit of all, as I am not the first with this question and I won't be the last.

Many thanks and best regards,

Andy.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

petr_solberg
Active Contributor

progress so far...

According to the SAP Roadmap for Enterprise Master Data Management from 23rd of October 2013:

a) Page 8 -  Master Data Management is for CONSOLIDATING master data

b) Page 8 - Master Data Governance is for CREATING master data

the document goes on to show:

c) Page 14 - Two Basic Models of Governance

Central Create

Consolidate

d) Page 15 - NetWeaver MDM is rooted in the Consolidation approach

e) Page 16 - BPM was later leveraged to enable NetWeaver MDM to also facilitate Central Creation as the market evolved

f) Page 17 - Customer demand called for an out of the box application (MDG Creation with its Portal/NWBC front end)  rather than a tool (MDM)

g) Page 18 - MDG is evolving to include Consolidation as well as Creation as MDG Enterprise Edition MDGee

h) Page 19 - MDGee is planned to be the combined solution for Master Data Creation and Consolidation

Where are we now ?

If we look at the SAP Master Data Governance Roadmap Edition 2014Q4

i) Page 13 - shows planned innovations Master Data Consolidation

Therefore, from this research we are still currently in a situation of needing MDM for consolidation and MDG for creation.

If we read the Master  & Master Upgrade Guide for SAP Master Data Governance EHP7

j) Page 29 - then we see 'The following optional components are available for enhancing' -

SAP NetWeaver MDM - Consolidation Capabilities

To conclude, from what I can currently find:

Today

NW MDM is the TOOL for Master Data Consolidation

can be enhanced with BPM custom applications to enable Master Data Creation

MDG is for Master Data Creation

can be enhanced with NW MDM to enable Master Data Consolidation

To Be

MDG will be to Application for doing Master Data Creation and Consolidation

I will keep researching and as I find more, update this thread.

If anybody can add to this, respecting the polite request in the first post, then they are most welcome to bring more value to this thread.

Best regards,

Andy.