SAP for Healthcare Discussions
Foster discussions about patient care, cost reduction, and operational excellence in healthcare organizations using SAP. Join the conversation.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Primary table for PMD too large

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I have a really big PMD Document with several tab pages and a massive number of fields.
When I create all that fields in the abstract design and then update my element list all fields will be added to the Primary table. When I try to Activate that primary table I am running into following error "Table xxx is too long (>4030)".

Now I already did some googeling and found out that it is basically not allowed to use more then 4030 characters in a SAP table. That is very critical for large PMDs as I need it.

I tried some things to avoid that problem. First I changed some fields to Supplementary texts. In some cases it was possible to combine fields so that I could group them in Multiple Field Groups. But both was not enough to shrink the table to be smaller then 4030 chars.

My other idea was to create an append structure for the primary table in transaction SE11 and copied some database fields from the primary table to the append structure. That did not work as well since the table generation of transaction n2t6 ignores the append structure.

Now I am running out of ideas and hope for your help. Did you already face a problem like that? Do you have any idea how to solve it?

Thank you very much.

Best
Sven

1 REPLY 1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sven,

there really isn't a lot you can do about this because it's not a limitation of the PMD toolkit, but rather one of the underlying ABAP Dictionary. This is documented, for examle here:

Constraints

• All the key fields of a table must stay at the beginning of the table. The key fields must be coherent. A non-key field must not occur between two key fields.
  • A maximum of 16 key fields per table is permitted. The maximum length of the table key is 255.
  • If the key length is greater than 120, there are restrictions when transporting table entries. The key can be specified up to a maximum of 120 places in a transport. If the key is larger than 120, table entries must be transported generically.
  • A table must not have more than 249 fields. The sum of all field lengths is limited to 1962 (whereby fields with data type LRAW and LCHR are not counted).
  • Fields of types LRAW or LCHR must be at the end of the table. Only one such field is allowed per table. There must also be a field of type INT2 directly in front of such a field. The actual length of the field can be entered there by the database interface.

as well as in note http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/636217

Besides, it's ususally not a good idea to create a document category that large because it will also cause other issues: The generated function group will get awfully large and probably hit a few ABAP generation limits as well, and if it doesn't, it will be slow to generate, load and use.

What is the business requirement for creating a monolithic document category that large? There are several options available, but they heavily depend on what you're trying to do.

Best regards

Volker Wegert