cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why points are important...even when not

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For me, points don't mean anything! But still when points increase, I notice that. I am certain that many value, many don't value but notice - the increase (or decrease) of points.

Why? What human psyche is the system (not only SCN but many and different schemes, companies, organizations etc.) taking advantage of?

Typewriter

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yo T-dubz,

I think it has got a lot to do with Skinner boxes and gamification systems.

check these links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning_chamber

Gamification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

oooh! now that is interesting, in the second article SCN is mentioned.

What it comes down to is small virtual pats on the back will encourage involvement of the users.

I suggest you take a look at both articles to understand the psychological mehanics of it.

Cheers, Rob.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rob,

Thanks for these two links! A combination of "influencing behavior with stimuli" & tapping into some intrinsic human qualities...manipulate us.

Are we (experiment) rats   ? NO! But we are in an (experiment) cage

One member who I feel is not manipulated by "the system" (in SCN) is

The key (for me) is to come to SCN with a goal (or plan) and get what you want, by sticking to the plan. Easier said than done!

TW

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey TW,

Interesting question you have asked ? Many marketing companies use that same make up we all have as humans to sell their product (not that SCN needs to).

Its that need to be recognized by our peers and by those who we perceive as our betters. The points help us quantify that sense of self worth. As as example, replace points with money, after a certain point how much do you REALLY need, but we all want more so that we can add some bling to our lives and feel good. May be the points are that bling to our professional lives !

As a newcomer, I know that every little point increment makes me feel more confident, When I had my first correct answer I was so thrilled. Yes I knew something and was capable enough to help others solve a problem.

Just that need to boost our self worth, image, call it what you will in our own eyes.

regards,

Aziz

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Aziz,

nicely articulated! thanks!

ok! points give you confidence. but what about those seasoned "players"...why are they eyeing points-changing?

i am not a seasoned player and i also know that points don't mean a thing (for me) but then why do i look at the points-changing?

tw

Message was edited by: TW Typewriter

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"seasoned players" !?

do you mean the Christmas season? the year end rally?

in boxing it is often seen that the fighters do the most at the end of the round, the judges are human, short memory.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jurgen,

in this context seasoned means:

seasoned - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com

Seasoned describes a person who has been around forever, doing what they do, and doing it well — throughout the seasons. They have lots of experience, and they can handle just about anything that comes their way.

To become seasoned takes a long time, because it means you are an old pro — someone who has dedicated years to a specific skill or activity. A seasoned hiker can tell you the fastest path up any mountain, and a seasoned bowler spends hours practicing in order to bowl strikes every time. Seasoned can also describe food that is full of herbs and spices, like the heavily seasoned French fries that seasoned bowlers eat at a bowling alley.

seasoned definition, meaning - what is seasoned in the British English Dictionary & Thesauru...

You are a "seasoned player", do you notice the change in your points or are you totally oblivious to it?

thanks!

TW

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for clarification, I mixed seasoned with seasonal. My English is based on SAP terms.

Of course I see the change in the points, the counter is at eye-level.

And I am curious too from whom I got it.

But even more curious I am on the personal acclaim section in the followed activities as it shows as well the likes and the bookmarks to my content which do not give any points.

It makes a good vibe to see that old replies from 2008 and older are still seen and noted as this comes from people who had not asked the question personally.

I am not here for the points, I am not frustrated if a day goes by without an increase. I have no withdrawal symptoms during a vacation without WIFI access. And I can even stop answering for 3 weeks and just read and moderate as shown last August.

And I have no problem if someone else passes me in ranks as recently happened in the LE space. I am glad that others bring in their knowledge and get notified and honored by the people too. Less work for the space moderator in such case, even they got motivated by the point system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

TW,

I would say its still human psychology. I mean, even 'seasoned' people like the little bit of high and boost a little recognition gives. Sometimes that also helps in one's career. For example, world champs still trying to win that elusive olympic gold, much acclaimed actors trying desperately for an oscar, etc.

So I would say, you are in esteemed company, when even after being an established professional, getting points gives u a boost.

Wouldn't marketing companies give an arm and leg for the answer to your opening post 🙂

Aziz

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Aziz! Sure, the answers to "manipulate the psychology" (in this context) will manifest in $$$$ , therefore YES companies would give a great deal to know these answers.

But here your underlying assumption is that more points mean more skill or better professional...it is debatable how much of that assumption is true.

The measure of quality / knowledge could be in reviewing at post level (not at points, badges etc. etc. level)

TW

Former Member
0 Kudos

TW,

No there is no assumption that points mean more, it is an outward manifestation of one's skills. That is why most of us strive for some form of continued recognition no matter how skillful or successful we are in the our chosen fields.

That's my take on this.

Yes, we can always change the yardstick or level where one is assessed but then that's a whole different ball game and one played by the assessor and not the assessee.

Aziz

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Aziz,

Thanks! But in the arena of continuous improvement, we are the assesses and the assessors!

TW

Former Member
0 Kudos

TW,

Hee Hee !, I wish that was the case for me.

- Aziz

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
but what about those seasoned "players"...why are they eyeing points-changing?

Not sure, whether somebody is already there in your mind but I dont think, every (not only seasoned players) players are eyeing for points but the fact could be, based on certain assumptions, the player give some suggestion and wanted the OP to confirm how much the suggestion given has helped them.  This, with SCN points system, we come to know only if the OP has differentiated the suggestions as to which one has solved and which one is "Helpful" to them.   In some cases, the player would have given incorrect suggestion and there is an opportunity to correct themselves.  It is a known fact that it is highly impossible to master in all SAP areas but that does'nt mean, we should restrict only to the areas where we are strong.  We are not going to lose anything by giving an attempt in the new area.  That is how, I developed my skill to some extent through SCN all these years.

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

If one were to slaughter the points system, then it would need to be seasoned with lots of masala and pepper to cover the bitter taste and rancid fat.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lakshmipathi,

That's another angle to look at it. How close we are to the correct answer and how we can use that to improve our skills !

Well put.

Regards,

Aziz

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

G Lakshmipathi,

As Aziz said, it is another angle to look at this topic!

Reading the inputs from various members, the analysis is becoming interesting! From your post, it seems that "you" are in-charge instead of gamification OR "the system". But the million dollar question is if there was no point system and some other notification (without point increase) of "correct and or helpful" posts, would the participation of you and other members be as enthusiastic?

has touched upon this point, with Likes and bookmarks. Deriving satisfaction from helping someone, rather than from the pursuit of points per se.

"Educated" by going through the links provided by

this thread should increase its scope, to include "why badges are important?"

thanks!

TW

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Julius, very nice play of words! love it!

would slaughtering the point system, inadvertently slaughter the traffic in SCN? tw

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would call it roadkill in the case of points-mongers and not really a loss as you have implied.

BTW here is some nice seasoning for the roadkill as well:

http://www.tngenweb.org/tntable/possum.htm   

Cheers 😉

Julius

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
if there was no point system and some other notification (without point increase) of "correct and or helpful" posts, would the participation of you and other members be as enthusiastic?

Definitely, I will continue to share my thoughts in SCN whether I am gaining some points or not.  In fact, it was me and Julius who were arguing to remove this points system when a similar topic was posted in SDN during which, we, Moderators, were finding it very difficult to moderate the forum with so many points cheating.   Of course, there should be some way of recognition from SAP to non-SAP members who contribute to SCN on free of cost. 

G. Lakshmipathi

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Julius,

Have you had any of these dishes?

The possum must be alive so that you can scare it, giving you the "wild" taste from all the adrenaline it produces. It is best to hit it over the head with a large object in a humane manner.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We regularly do this to points gamers on SCN.

Much the same thing..  😉

Cheers,

Julius

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

so it is official now...moderator with their torch and stick, patrol the dark alleys of SCN to hunt for possums (point gamers). once caught, they will toy (scare) them, to make them more tasty "meat" and then relish the feasting, left with a taste of the wild...at the back of the mouth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Julius and TW

now u guys got me hungry and scared ..

- Aziz

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Aziz, understand hungry...but why scared? tw

Former Member
0 Kudos

TW,

You conjure up a scary scene of dark alleys and torches, only thing missing were the pitchforks.

- Aziz