cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DGREGULAT vs DGREGION - which one is relevant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am working with a customer to integrate a Dangerous Goods solution.  They are live on SAP but do not currently use DG.  Soon they will be shipping parts and supplies to dealers and they are concerned with assuring that shipments are compliant with transport regulations (i.e., labeling and documentation).  The customer does not want to use the Specification Database (at least not initially) as only a small percentage of their total materials inventory is believed to be regulated.  They will initially maintain the DG Master manually (vs fill from the Spec DB).  The customer is currently live with EhP6.

In preparing their configuration, I intended to set up the DG validity areas for the customer.  To use an example:

In the IMG, under the validity areas, the following would normally be configured:

Validity Area Category = DGREGION, Validity Area = DGCFR, Description of Validity Area = US 49 CFR Regulation

Validity Area Category = DGREGION, Validity Area = DGIATA_C, Description of Validity Area = US 49 CFR Regulation

Validity Area Category = DGREGION, Validity Area = DGIATA_P, Description of Validity Area = US 49 CFR Regulation

Validity Area Category = DGREGION, Validity Area = DGIMDG, Description of Validity Area = IMO Regulation

What I find in the customer system is that there already exists a Validity Area Category that seems relevant for DG. This one appears to have been delivered with the system and not created by the customer. The category that already exist is DGREGULAT.  This one is configured in the customer system in the same way DGREGION would be configured.  I find that I cannot configure DGREGION when DGREGULAT already exists.  Only if I delete DGREGULAT entry is it then possible to configure DGREGION.

I have found a couple of SAP published documents (a few years old) that refer to both DGREGULAT and DGREGION. The problem is these do not explain the differences between the two.  My basic question is: do I leave the customer system defined with DGREGULAT, or, do I remove DGREGULAT and configure DGREGION? 

This is important to short run engagement success at the customer.  Very much appreciate any helpful insight.  I'll later attach the SAP documentation I found.

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ed,

I am nor sure if there is truly any difference between DGREGION vsDGREGULAT as they both usages same data base table for reference for validity area

that is the reason you can use either of it, If you mention dgregion-DGCFR than can not use DGREGULAT- DGCFR or vice versa. DGREGION- DGCFR is used most widely as  this has been part of lot of data provider including SERC.

You may  also want to consider while using DG Master independently if  spec is not involved still phrase management needs to be  used in consideration for PSN, and Hazard inducer name.. 

Gopi Dadheech