Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA: Calculations at dataase layer

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I read in some articles and books about HANA that the calculations on data has been brought down from the application layer to the dataase layer. There were illustrations explaining this. But I am still not able to get it. I am still a novice trying to grasp the concepts of in-memory, so can someone please explain to me in more lay-man terms on how this is done in HANA?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member93896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Benedict,

you are not alone! In-memory databases like SAP HANA are fundamentally different from traditional databases and many still struggle understanding how "it" really works.

Rather than thinking about layers, look at it from a hardware point of view. Traditionally, you would have one server - let' s call it generically "box" - running your database and at least one box running your application logic. The application box is then connecting to the database to retrieve and store data. So if your application wants to perform a calculation, it first needs to read the input data from the database box and transfer it over a network to the application box, then run the calculation logic, and finally transfer the results back to the database box over the network in order to store the results.

In the most simple terms, with SAP HANA you can do exactly the same using just "one box" - the so called SAP HANA appliance. No need to transfer between two boxes for such calculation scenarios and for some application (especially newly developed ones) you won't need a seperate application box altogether.

If you want to learn more about SAP HANA, check my blog at

Regards,
Marc

SAP Customer Solution Adoption (CSA)

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you very much Marc for taking your time to explain the concept in lay-man terms just like I needed.

I have already bookmarked your blog and have created five folders in my system for the five phases you have mentioned, and have started taking small steps forward.

Regards,

Benedict V

Answers (0)