cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR ODBC / .accdb report changing window / report sizes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Recently I upgraded my application which used an access .mdb file to ACE using a .accdb file. In the process you explained to me I had to start using ODBC because OLE DB wasn't supported. I used ODBC and though everything was fine, however I have just noticed some very strange sizing issues. Please see three pages in the attatched .pdf.

1. The vb.net window as programmed - fills in the whole laptop screen + a bit.

2. I run a report and the image is the report viewer showing ONLY about 3/4 of the report page. I cannot, using the zoom controls see the full report page in the viewer. The print is OK.

3. Close the report viewer and the vb.net window is smaller by about the same proportion - 3/4.

I can't send this out to customers, but don't have any idea how to trouble shoot - any ideas would be very welcome.

The basic code I use is

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Page layout is set according to your default printer. Change your default printer to Landscape and see if that works.

If it does make sure you do not have No Printer checked on in the RPT file and or leave your default printer to Landscape.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Don,

No this makes no difference, but please re-read and look at the diagrams - this isn't an issue of page layout it's an issue of the number of pixels and the physical sizes of objects changing. If I debug, the size of the .net window is fine until the report viewer is shown and then the .net window changes pixel size at the same time as the report viewer appears. The report layout is landscape but only about 3/4 of the landscape page is showing. I apologize - this is difficult to explain, but hopefully the pictures should do a better job.

The application worked just fine until I changed it to use ODBC instead of OLEDB as the data source went from JET to ACE. Literally about 5 lines of .NET code changes, plus the reworking of the reports to a different datasource. I still have the original version using an OLEDB datasource over a Jet database working OK.

Hopefully this makes it a bit clearer. Re-looking at my original post you will need to double click on the images to be able to really see what I'm talking about.

If you need me to open an incident so we can talk about this better, please let me know - it's that important to me.

0 Kudos

Hi Derek,

Ah, so it has nothing to do with the page view because you only showed me the one page. What do you mean only 3/4 of the page is shown, second image? I have no reference to go by... also, in IE I only have to click once to view which I did.

I do see the main form is smaller though.

Also, not sure who said OLE DB is not supported. It is, may have been misinterpreted...

CR has no control over the host form size so it's likely some dependency the ACE driver is using. Use process Monitor and compare runtime. Modules may be easy to see and compare though.

Possibly either usp10.dll or gdiplus.dll, may be different or multiple versions being loaded but one would think once it's loaded it should not select a different version.

What CR runtime are you using?

And it can still have issues with the printer driver and you never answered if the report is set to No Printer?

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

In order -

Sorry you're correct about frame of reference - I know the title is centered in the middle of the page. Here is how it looks with the Jet db (above) and IE only needs a single click to open the images.

In a previous question I had about (about 2 weeks ago) OLEDB, ACE and sub reports not working properly - apparently you told Ludek who was helping me that I should use ODBC because OLEDB wasn't supported for ACE databases - it worked so at that time I went no further.

Just FYI, if I have a .net solution open using a jet database and run the report everything stays the same size - if I open the .ACE solution and run it at the same time the sizes go wrong.

I'm using CR for VS_13_0_12.

Even if I use process monitor to check runtime, I've no idea how to force CR to use the correct modules - please can you help here.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Thanks for the update.

I don't recall the conversation with Ludek sop can't say for sure but OLE DB to Accdb is fine. It could be MS has puiblished they are dropping OLE DB for SQL Server and suggestingh everyone move to ODBC because it's cross platform... Other than that I don't see any reason why not.

Process Monitor will not force CR to use anything, what it will do is compare collect the list of dll's and then you can compare what the differences are.

As long as the attachement is less than one meg you can use the Advanced Editor to attach a file. zip it up and then rename it to *.txt

Don

Answers (0)